Jeep Wranglers May Be Headed for Retirement After Next Year

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gunman41mag, Feb 22, 2016.

1. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

My son bought a brand new 2015 Jeep Wrangler Oscar Mike 4 door last year, can't believe that they would stop making them

2. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

My 1998 "Rag Top" Chili Pepper Red Wrangler is the best off road rig I have ever owned. The used value continues to go up not down. What other vehicles owner can claim that? :D

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Marcchione said Wrangler production will be moved out of Toledo in 2017. That nature writer from Ammoland needs to stop sucking squirrel brains.

4. gunman41mag

Only time my son's jeep has gone off road is when he parks it on the grass at his house, in fact he removed the factory rims & tires, replaced them with high performance street tires

5. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Bwahahaha!!!!! That's the most profitable vehicle in Jeeps lineup. They have had the tooling for the better part of a century to build them, at this point they're practically printing money. I will bet anyone anything that the Jeep Wrangler is in production for decades!

6. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

I just read an article last week on MSN that Jeep built a concept vehicle of a truck version of the Wrangler that there was consideration of possibly putting into production. not that it was definite, but being considered.

it would seem strange to consider a new version of the Wrangler for them if they planned on phasing it our of production.

7. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Ha! That would be like Ruger discontinuing the 10/22.

8. gunman41mag

I think the jeep wrangler is way over price

9. DP03

DP03 New Member

A slow, rough riding, and horrible handling vehicle is the opposite of what I like, but the fact is that the Wrangler is the #1 vehicle in the US now for holding its value.

10. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

2nd to Porsche 911

11. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

many vehicles that are capable off road are just that usually, slow, rough riding, and have poor handling on road. but that is what appeals to many who buy them. and with some minor modifications in suspension and tires, they are very capable off the road, or at least they use to be. and the more you modify them for off road use, the less desirable they are on the road.

I suspect many also buy them for the image they portray.

12. DP03

DP03 New Member

No, I get it. And I agree. I am in the auto business, and I would say the large majority of buyers are drawn to the Jeep for its image. The off road capabilities of the Wrangler are impressive, especially in the Rubicon Hard Rock edition with it's detachable front sway bar. But like many 4X4 buyers the vehicles will see little or no off road use, and that's where the disconnect happens for me personally.

That being said, the loyalty of the Jeep buyers along with the resale value is certainly a plus.

13. Artie1957

Artie1957 Member

And to think I wanted to sell my 82' CJ8 Scrambler..

14. gunman41mag

Since my son bought his JEEP WRANGLER almost a year ago, He hasn't engaged the 4X4

15. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If it was closer to me, i would have already made you an offer. Shipping it here would be more than it's worth when added to the purchase price. In the meantime, hold on to it, and if they kill the Wrangler off, store it for 10 years, and sell it for 3 times as much.

I've had 4WD vehicles for the last 20 years, more of then than not, and i can honestly say that, after the test drive, I maybe use the 4WD system about twice a year. If that. And none of my trucks are pavement queens, 2 or 4WD, all see trails and off road areas. i just keep good recovery gear on board, as it's far better to winch out than it is to horse it out, even with 4WD. Hell most of my plowing is done in 2 Hi wityh about a 700 of sand in a box in the back that if built to fit between the rear wheel wells and the tailgate.

Now, I am not trying to take anything away from Jeep, and I realize times change, but they sealed their fate with a lot of the die hard Jeep crowd when they got rid of the 4.0 liter I6, and dropped in the 3.9 V6. horsepower is the new buzz word of the day, and no one want's to think about torque numbers, which the 3.9 has far less of. Might as well just run a 2.2 or 2,5 I4 Turbo, and be done with it in that case. that's fine for a Mall Crawler, but not for someone who actually plans on seeing just how "Trail Rated" that thing really is.

IOW, you shouldn't need to put it in 4 Lo to climb a midlevel incline. $ Hi should do the trick instead. Also, higher torque gets you up to speed with less effort, and less fuel, which is why most Wranglers have about the same economy numbers as my 91 K2500 does. Had the same issue when I got rid of the 87 F 150 with the 4.9 for a 91 ranger with the 3.0. It got better mileage at speed, but used more fuel getting to speed than the f 150 did, with a bigger engine to boot.

As to them dropping the line, don't see it happening any more than i could see anyone here cutting off their right hand intentionally. You just don't drop your best seller. It's as simple as that. If they want even more sales, bring back the slant 6 engines, and offer a 4 or 5 cyl turbo diesel drive line in it. i can promise you folks will buy it.

16. DP03

DP03 New Member

I believe the current Jeep uses a 3.6 liter V6, not a 3.9? And that V6 is actually an excellent engine that is used extensively throughout the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep lineup. Pentastar is the name of the motor. My daughters Chrysler 200 has that motor and I've found it quite reliable with very good power for its class. In the Wrangler configuration, it makes 285 hp and 260 lb/ft tq (295hp in sedan configs).

As for the 4.0 liter I6 motor, I believe it was rated at 180hp / 220 tq in the Wrangler, and as such was much less powerful in all respects than the V6 Pentastar. Are we talking about the same I6 ??

17. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

The numbers don't always tell the whole story, I would guess and I repeat guess as I have no actual info on this that the I6 made its power and torque at a lower rpm than the v6. Most people don't rev their motors to 5 grand on a regular basis to get the max power on the interstate especially with an auto transmission which will shift long before you get to that rpm.

Just my theory and you may have info that contradicts me.

18. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i will trust car info from an ammo web site as much as I'd trust gun info from a car magazine.....I doubt the Wrangler is going anywhere.

when they started calling them "Wranglers" is when they got more street friendly, & with every generation they get a little more soccer mom & a little less mud bogger. my dad had a CJ-5 & it was an absolute death machine on the highway, he eventually bought a '90 Wrangler & it was a completely different animal, hell it even came standard with little passenger car tires. he had to lift it to make 31" tires clear the suspension.

the one thing that hasn't seemed to change is the Jeep quirkiness. the wife has an '07 Liberty that turns on a dime, has good off the line power, & is an absolute beast in crappy weather. however, in the 3 years she's owned it, I've had to replace the water pump, a/c clutch, & a power window actuator/track....and the thing only has 80,000 miles.

I guess the acronym still fits:
    Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

19. DP03

DP03 New Member

Yea, RPM's can certainly make a difference. The I6 made it's peak hp at 4750 rpm and its peak torque at 4000. The Pentastar peaks at 4,800 I think for both. So yes the peak tq was somewhat lower in the I6. Although I would think the higher numbers in the V6 would more than make up for it. Who knows?

Back to topic, I would definitely be shocked to see the Wrangler discontinued. Would make no sense at all.