Jeep tried to cheat me. What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Rick1967, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I took my wife's jeep in for a differential fluid change, oil change and tire rotation.

I will start by saying I am a fully qualified mechanic when it comes to those issues and many more. But her Jeep is under warranty. I wanted a record of maintenance done by the shop. There was a time that if you took your car to Sears or American Car Care to have these jobs done, It would have been me doing it.

Anyway they told me over the phone when I made the appointment that the differential service would be $60 per axle. The oil change was $36. And the tire rotation was $12.00. That sounds to me to be about $168 plus tax. But we will get back to that. They called my wife even though I asked them to call me if it needed anything. They told her that her rear brakes were down to 2mm. They told her it was urgent for her to get it done asap. I was standing there when they called her. I took the phone and told them I would take care of it myself. (I have done brakes professionally as well.) Then they got nasty and told me that it was also due for a tune up. Due to the fact that this is a 2012 I asked what was invloved in a tune up. They said "Spark Plugs". I asked how much. $160. Yea. $160 for 6 spark plugs. I said no thanks. I will do that too. I spent less than an hour doing the spark plugs. That includes the time I spent watching youtube videos to see how the coil packs come off. They have a weird bolt that you have to pry up with a screwdriver after you unscrew them. I didn't want to break anything. Next was the brakes. I was pissed! The thinnest pad was 8 or 9 mm thick. They still had 3/4 of their thickness left. They were going to charge me $205 for an urgent brake job that was a bald faced lie! I changed them anyway. I already had the wheels off and one brake disassembled. I have the old brakes in the box. I am thinking of taking them down to the dealer and calling him a liar to his face. Oh yea. My final bill for the $168 plus tax came out to $231.

What would you do?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would bring it to the attention of the owner of the dealership and file a complaint with the BBB.

personally, i think you have every right to be upset and angry.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I agree I would contact the Owner of the Agency and a call to the Regional Representative for Chrysler/Jeep would also be done!
    That is BS! A and they are notorious for trying to pull the wool over on ladies and those who have no mechanical knowledge at all! Some get by with this all the time until they are called out on it. And there is always the local newspaper should they blow you !!!!!!. And if it came to it
    public media is a great way to get the word out! With Rating Sections on most business~

4. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

OH MY GOD!!!! a dealership LIED??????

(sarcasm button off)

I have yet to see a dealership that didn't try to screw over their customers...particularly a lady.

tell the service manager (not the writer ...they couldn't give a crap) that if they pull a stunt like that again with you, you'll have the local media's consumer advocate (most major markets have one) parked on their doorstep, and launch a twitter/facebook campaign trashing their rep so badly, they will wish they had never heard of you, let alone tried to screw you.

5. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

HUH? :confused:

please explain yourself Shoobee.

7. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

As Axxe 55 said, pack up the parts take the complaint to the Maint. Mgr. Dealership owner, and BBB, then a followup letter after the individual meetings to each with a cc to the others.

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

As Sniper 03 said earlier, that was the dealership, not the manufacturer, contact Chrysler/Fiat Corp. and explain the situation thoroughly.

9. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

60 bucks to drain and fill a differential. :eek:

10. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ditto..........! :confused:

11. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Would you like your money back ?

Go to the dealership and see the GM. Tell him about that, show him the brake pads and how his staff was dishonest. Also tell him a 2012 DOES NOT need spark plugs for at least 70 to 100K miles.

You feel put out and are thinking of reporting it to the attorney generals office for your state. He should refund the bill you paid for your inconvenience as the other work should have been covered also except the oil change.

You'll get your money back. Be polite but be firm and don't be afraid to ask. And ask. be the "put out" customer who caught them lying. Ask him, why would they make that up? what was the confusion ? what if I wasn't a mechanic who could verify it ?

You will not only get your money back but a few oil changes also.

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Dealerships live or die by their CSI. (Customer satisfaction index.) A bad CSI is bad news for the dealership. The manufacturer can and will withhold support to dealers with low ratings. They will limit how many new cars the dealer can purchase as well as replacement parts for their parts departments. They can take away any dealer "incentives" as well.

Start with the service manager at the dealership. 90% of the time that will do it. Tell him you want a full refund for the "service" you paid for, that they tried to scam you on. If you don't get the satisfaction you are after, get the name and number of the district / regional service manager and make your case to him/her. If no help there, take it to the corporate offices. The more noise you make within the company the better the results you will get as opposed to outside sources such as the BBB etc.

With each step up in the chain of command, the higher the bucket of stink will be when it gets dumped and starts running down hill again. No manager wants to see it go any higher to cover there own backside. When the CSI drops, the owners start chopping off heads. :p

13. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

So, who is correct?
    The book says one thing, and the dealer says another.

I would keep maintenance to the minimum and follow the owner's manual.

Dealers are always trying to make a buck and add the "courteous safety inspection" and find something that will help pad their wallets.

Hourly rates X time as stated in the book. Plus parts cost.

Report the incident and don't give up.

15. Highpower

Highpower New Member

16. Rick1967

The service requirements are really over the top on this car. The differentials are supposed to have the fluid changed every 30,000 miles. The spark plugs are copper and supposed to be changed at 32,000. Rediculous! I bought platnumn plugs to replace them. The warranty will be over before she puts another 30,000 on anyway. We have 33 months left on the factory warranty.

I will be calling the dealership on Monday to speak with the General Manager. And yea, I thought $60 was a lot to drain and refill a diff too. At least I did until I saw that they actually charged me $92 for the rear one! I fought with them until they took the total down to $195. I am a business man. I run a hotel. If I tell someone I am going to charge them $80 plus tax for a room, that is what I charge them. I don't add a fee for a safe and a resort fee and an energy fee and a kiss my a$$ fee!

17. Rick1967

Are you saying that you are ok with paying people too much money to do stuff that doesn't need to be done? I hope not. That would make you an idiot. I am sure that is not what you are saying.:eek:

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, now that the parts are off the truck, they could be anybody's parts, (from their point of view), and rightfully so. I'd have gone down there, and asked them to show me the 2mm. I can read the tools that tell them this. When they couldn't show me that, I'd THEN call them liars, and to get my truck the hell off their rack, and BTW, I'm not paying for anything.

Either way, as it stands now, I'd tell them I'll never be back again. Preferably in front of several of their other customers.

Yeah, I don't think that the CSI stands for much, at least with some brands. We have a local Toyota dealership that is the worst. EVERYTHING that they can do wrong, they do. I could tell you multiple horror stories about them, both with me and other people. Yet, they continue to be a long-standing large dealership, when there are also a couple others in the area. I now drive an hour + to a Toyota dealership I like.

You aren't suggesting the OP could be hushed with a few free oil changes, would you? What message is that sending the dealer?

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

That's 'cause it's a piece of SH!T. No offense. Try a Toyota, you'll like it.

20. Rick1967

I am beginning to think that more people are dishonest than honest. A couple of years ago I took my wife's Kia Sedona in for an oil change at the Kia dealer. Again a car under warranty. I just like a little bit of a paper trail. Anyway they told us that all 4 of the CV boots are torn and all 4 CV joints need to be replaced. I generally don't tell garages that I am a mechanic when I drop of a car. But the truth is I have never paid a shop to do anything other than oil changes and minor stuff like that. Anyway I told them I would just do the work at home. So I decide to jack up the van and see if it can wait a couple weeks. Not a single torn boot! Nothing needed to be replaced. And the idiots gave it to me in writing!

I think I am done with dealerships. It seems they hire nothing but liars and thieves.