JD’s Recession Buster Pistol Test:

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Dillinger, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, if you have spent much time here, you will have no doubt been subjected to the blasphemy perpetrated by Benning Boy, Canebrake and dnthmn2004 in regards to my personal pistol & knife choices.

They would have you believe that I only buy top of the line pistols and knives and that my safe is filled with a Who’s Who of the firearms marketing world. Well, okay they are kind of right on that….:rolleyes:

But, we are getting a lot of new members here and I have seen a lot of requests for the best bargain pistol that one could use for personal defense. Let’s face it, there is a big recession on and people are scared/nervous about the rising crime rates. People are looking at getting a good, reliable pistol, that will hit the target it’s aimed at, and they don’t want to mocked or chided for buying a POS that they didn’t know about.

So, here is what I am proposing. I am going to collect the names of 2 or 3 pistols that are bargain basement, easy on the pocket book pistols from your suggestions. Once I narrow it down, and I can actually find one of them ( see below ) I am going to do a gunsmith evaluation on it from the inside out. I am going to offer a non-biased approach to the review and then I will take it to the range and see if I can hit anything with it, and whether or not it goes bang when it’s supposed too.

After that, I will probably auction it off since I can’t have it in my Hugo Boss safe next to my Nighthawk family. :D

So far on my list I have, at the request of bkt, the Hi Point C9 ( or the C45 ) pistol. I have called 5 places in my area that are registered Hi Point dealers and none of them have these pistols in stock. At less than $200 per pistol, I can see why. But that doesn’t mean I am stopping there. I am calling around to pawn shops and other stores to see if they have one, even a used one, that I can test and evaluate.

But, I believe in being thorough, so I am taking suggestions for a bargain basement, economical handgun that you guys might like to see a write up done on.

Now, the results are going to linked to, but posted in The Bunker – after all, the site should get something out of this deal and an increase in membership only makes us stronger, but this will be an honest, real world evaluation of a pistol you are thinking of spending $200 on. Wouldn’t you rather spend $12 and find out about it ahead time?

So, what do you guys think? Who makes the short list of bargain pistols that you would recommend to a family member who just moved to the worst shi’ite hole imaginable??

JD

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

This is a great idea. It would save this website about a dozen new threads per week. After you complete your testing and pawn it off, you could continue with handguns in a slightly larger price range, and so on. Just an idea.

Can you be a little bit more specific on the rules?

Whats the actual maximum spending limit, I know you suggested $200, is this the magic number?

Are we limited to semi's or are revolvers in the hat also?

Do my states laws and regulations apply? Because there aren't many $200 guns that pass the rigorous MA firearm testing regiment.

3. Scrapper

Scrapper New Member

I picked up a taurus model 605 2 years ago for 300 bucks new.

2" .357 magnum and I still carry it. I will even submit mine for the testing part of this...as long as I get it back!

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

JD, Hows about a Polish Makarov 64-9 X 18? Can be picked-up for around $140.00

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Add the S&W Sigma to the list.

6. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Ill throw in the Bersa Thunder .380, Great Economy pistol...

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

An excellent idea. Kudos.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hhhmmmmm, This appears to have gone a little sideways on me for not being more precise, Shame on me.

Scrapper - If you already own the gun, then you should post about it. You should do a whole write up on it and be non-bias on the pros and cons of the weapon. Since it's already in your possession, that would be easier. :D However, if you prefer, we can arrange it offline.

What I was thinking is this: We are getting a ton of new members, and everyone seems to be on a budget. I was thinking under $400 honestly - but I didn't want to get like 80 choices of weapons that were under $400.

Don't let the Hugo Boss underwear & the fancy shades fool you, I work for a living just like the rest of you. :cool:

Also, I don't have a gazillion dollars ( yet ) burning a whole in my pocket, but I wanted to give a little real world advice to some people who are honestly and genuinely concerned about self protection in this day and age.

So, let's set some ground rules:

1) THIS HAS TO BE A WEAPON YOU WOULD RECOMMEND TO A FAMILY MEMBER! No offense, but I am not doing this to test drive a new pistol you want to buy for yourself. This has to have a purpose, not just spend JD's money.

2) It has to be a minimum of 9mm. I don't think, personally, anything else is suited for defense, I am doing this for a defensive mind set person, not a plinker and it needs to be able to do the job.

3) I would like to keep it in common calibers. Ones that can be purchased at Wallyworld, or Sportco or a standard sporting goods store. Anything that needs to be reloaded for, or needs special ammo like my .460 Rowland is disqualifed automatically.

4) I think $400 should be the cap. Most people can scrape together $200-$300 without too much sacrifice on the home front. Let's keep the single income family in mind here with mom, or dad, bringing home one paycheck to feed 3 or 4 mouths. They deserve to be safe too, right guys?

5) I think any good gun for the price should be considered. I personally like automatics, but a good, hammerless revolver is going to go bang every damn time and that should be taken into account...

So, we got Hi-Point on the list as a nod to bkt and we got the S&W Sigma on the list.

What else??

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I forgot about the "would recommend it to a family member" part, but would still go with a S&W Sigma.

If I was going to recommend a revolver, it would be a no bells and whistles S&W 642. Although the MSRP is 600, they can be found, maybe slightly used, for less than 400.

So after just about everyone has given their choice, your gonna put them all in a poll?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I'm a huge proponent of the, "poor men cannot afford to buy cheap tools," train of thought.

I'm on board though, as I have a High Point .380 in my possession. Lemme know how and where you want the info JD.

11. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Rossi or Armscorp .38 caliber revolver. Those can still be had for pretty cheap (under 300 dollars).

I will post up something on my Ruger P95 (320.00 dollars), and my Sigma (340.00 dollars) if you would like. I have posted range reports, but I never really went truly "in-depth" with those pistols. I would like to know who would be interested before I spend time typing something up.

Good idea, JD.

:)

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sarge - We are getting about 3 to 4 "What gun for me" threads a week in the past 6 to 8 weeks.

With those two pistols you have, both well within the range, I think there would DEFINITELY be people who are interested if you could do it from the ground up. Take some pictures, provide some non bias insight, you might end up saving someone some money, or giving them the info that they need to make the right choice...

We post it as a write up in the open, then directly hot link it into the Bunker to get new members to join up. $12 is chaper than buying a gun that isn't what you were looking for...:rolleyes:

JD

13. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Gotcha. I'll go ahead and write something up and I'll post it in this section. Then you can use your "Uber-Mod" powers to hot-link it however you need.

:)

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sweet. Include pictures if you can, that always helps.

Thanks Sarge!!

JD

15. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

As a side note, I have owned a Hi-Point C9, and a JCP .45 pistol. If you want any info, I'll do something on those too. I'm pretty familiar with the brand (I even used to own a .380 a while ago).

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If Hi-Point is on the list, I would suggest nothing less than the .40 or .45. There is not much weight diff and I will go ahead and say .45. I posted an honest range report on the Bunker Collection of the .45. For just a few $ more (less than $250.00) one can get a new Hi-Point HD pack. Comes with laser, holster, peep sight option, hard case and a folding Ka-Bar. They have a dove-tail front bottom rail for mounting of lasers or lights. Plus, the .45's have a 4-1/2" barrell.

$400.00 limit makes me wanna suggest the Taurus 24/7 Pro Long Slide w/ 5" barrell. :)

17. WDB

WDB New Member

I agree with Sgt the Ruger P series is a good affordable choice. From top to bottom P95 9mm, P93 9mm, P94 40 S&W. I don't think I paid much over $300 for any of them, I bought them all used.

Attached Files:

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'd like to hear your reviews of the kel-tecs.

great idea!!

19. oldandslow

oldandslow New Member

JD, 4/21/09

I looked at your posts a couple of times and didn't notice whether you are looking at less than $400 for new pistols or if good used pistols less than $400 would qualify for your evaluation (examples- SW 3rd gen. 5906 for $315 at Summitgunbroker, also Glock 17's for $395, and Sig P6's for $395). In the same way that many car buyers are now looking at used cars as a good value the same can be said of pistol buyers. Thanks.

best wishes- oldandslow

20. propex

propex New Member

Charter Arms Revolvers or Stoeger Cougars might be a likley prospect