janssen son double barrel 12g

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by MrWray, Aug 18, 2012.

1. MrWray

MrWray New Member

This shotgun has been in the family for alot of years, and i dont know anything about it. The barrel is marked "Belgium fine damascus" and it has some numbers under the barrels. Its missing a hammer so its been used quite a bit :)

Ive just always thought it to be a nice mantle piece

20120818_111708-1.jpg

20120818_112004-1.jpg

20120818_111912-1.jpg

20120818_111817-1.jpg

20120818_111801-1.jpg

20120818_112658-1.jpg

2. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Beautiful double barrel!

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

MrRay,

Very nice old Damascus shotgun. Love the old double barrel hammer guns! I believe you can get a hammer for it if you go on line and type in *Janssen Shotgun Parts. I remember reading that someone even had the entire lock for them. There are some that do have parts for the Janssen. She would make an excellent wall or Fireplace hanger! Thanks for the pics.

4. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

shame its missing the hammer .how are the barrels? working on a thomas hooker my self right now good locks but the barrels are rough black powder was not kind to steel.may get it tubed

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The barrels still look pretty good from what i can tell,the firing pins look a little rough and loose. I may try and find a replacement hammer for the left side, i dont intend on restoring it, i just plan on keeping it as a mantle piece. I just wanted to try and learn a little more about it, i love old guns.

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

enjoy the quest it may turn up to be a maker to the kings gun

7. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I just happen to have a hammer for that gun in my desk at work . its in white and you will need to fit the hammer to the gun ,
    Drill your hole and get some small small flat files to square out the drill hole .
    Had to do the same thing to my remington 1889 sxs hammer slinger , ill dig upi the info or give you mine if its for the right side you need

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Crap, its the left side

9. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

There is a company casting new ones , I bought a pair but the left one was missing on mine too . I had to drill and file out the hole , all in all about 4 hrs worth of work but both fire now , I use the mini 1 inch shells in my 1889 but I only fire it about once a year just to blow the tubes out , mine is not damascus though , least I dont think it is .

I also have a very old Francotte Knock about 12ga hammerless , very expensive gun gun but I give that one hell , we will see who is man enough to fire 00buck out of both tube at the same time , and i will tell you , its a mofo , if your not careful the recoil from the first shot will make you hit the second and 99% it results in bleeding hands .

I will try to find the company i bought mine from

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Whenever i was 10 i accidentally pulled both triggers on a side by side, knocked my cap off and sent me a few steps backwards "didnt knock me down"

I loved it!!! haha

Recoil has never intimidated me or bothered me

11. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Yea but fat fingers and trigger guards do

12. PENDULUM

PENDULUM New Member

I have close to the same gun but my barrel says fine Damascus Finnish and I've been trying to find out the difference between the Belgium fine Damascus, Fine Damascus steel, fine rolled steel and the one I have that just states the Finnish is Damascus. The parts I'm missing is the rear trigger a few machine screws and the entire front stock. I was thinking about doing a massive up grade to it and seeing if I can change out the barrels to except a double that can run a standard 12 gauge round but I'm not sure if the rest of the gun can support the force that smokeless rounds carry

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The difference is in who wrote the ad copy. And you put your finger on the issue- the GUN itself was never intended for smokeless powder. Get a nice set of mounts, and it will look great above the fireplace.

Otherwise.....

Janssen & Sons was a "Trade Brand Name" used on guns made by Janssen Fils & Company, a Belgian gun maker located in Liege ,Belgium from 1893 to 1957. They had two addresses, 42 Rue Fusch 1893 to 1939 and 29 Rue Duvier 1946 to 1957, I guess that they were closed down during World War II. Guns with this name were made for export to the US. I have no information as to whom the importer or seller was.

Attached Files: