Jams with Wolf

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by REBLOPIE, Feb 21, 2012.

1. REBLOPIE

REBLOPIE New Member

I purchased a Stag AR-15 Model 1 Left-Handed. I also bought Wolf ammo with it. Brought it home and after the second shot it jammed really tight. After I got it out I shot it again and it jammed but was able to eject out after I pulled the handle back. After that it shot the rest fine I went to shot it today and it jammed after the first shot. The gun was brand new.

2. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Did you give the bore and chamber a good cleaning before you shot it?

3. REBLOPIE

REBLOPIE New Member

No actually I didn't. Until after I shot the one today. I'm going to try and run some brass through it Wednesday. When we get the wolf casing out it got a chip in it from the extractor tried to grab it and it broke off

4. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Yeah that packing grease they put on it is sticky as hell and may cause a stuck case. After you get the case out use a good solvent and clean everything and then lube with a good quality lube like brakefree CLP.

5. REBLOPIE

REBLOPIE New Member

I just used some WD-40. That's all I had on hand that the time

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The biggest concern I'd be looking out for with Wolf is short cycling. If you only load one round in a magazine does you bolt consistently lock back after firing the round? If it doesn't you may want to try a lighter buffer.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

WD40 is a lubricant, not a solvent. You really need to use the correct product. Any WD residue will turn to a hard nasty substance from the heat generated. It will compound your issue, not fix it. There is a reason you don't oil cartridges and chambers.

8. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Some AR's can run the russian ammo and others can not. I'd give it a thorough cleaning and try it one more time and if it still has issues, stick to brass.

9. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Yeah, getting it to the point where it would take the Wolf may not be worth it. I am not exactly sure what the parts are that would make the difference anyway. Could be the lube.

10. REBLOPIE

REBLOPIE New Member

What's some good solvents

11. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

I use hoppe's #9

12. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Make sure you get a ar15 chamber brush to really clean the chamber

13. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I have had great luck with clp but also used hoppes and that works great as well

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I just use brake cleaner on the gas tube, bcg, and barrel chamber, then some remington gun lube on bcg and call it a day. Wolf shoots the same in my gun as brass with regard to reliability. Some guns are a bit finnicky about what ammo they will shoot. My guess is it is the upper receiver or bcg.

15. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't use this or other penetrating lubes. If you get a little on a case it can penetrate into the powder, then there can be problems.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

OP, what do you mean by jam? I skimmed through the thread and didn't see any real explanation. I'm guessing the round got stuck, correct?

17. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

My thought is: you can have a super cheap gun, or fire super cheap ammo. Try both and you won't be happy with the results.

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Just my opinion but a PSA is low in the price spectrum but offers good quality. Cheap isn't always a precursor of quality.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You really, really, really won't be happy with a super expensive gun that won't fire cheap ammo either! :p

20. REBLOPIE

REBLOPIE New Member

Yes mj the round got stuck. So I went and got brass instead of the steel and it shot fine. I just went out to try the wolf and it jammed on first shot. When I get shell out there a chip on the top of the casing from where the extractor tried to grab it and it wouldn't come out