Jamming

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by kvndoy, Oct 5, 2013.

1. kvndoy

kvndoy New Member

My mini jams using .223 REM 64 grain but works fine when using .223 REM 54 grain. Can someone tell me why??

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What kind of jam? Failure to extract, failure to feed, double feed way jam, stuck cases? That will help narrow down the possibilities.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Can you better describe "jam"? Is it not extracting? Is it locking up the bolt? Is the bullet not entering the chamber? Is it double feeding?

4. kvndoy

kvndoy New Member

Failure to extract, is the only real jamming issue.

5. kvndoy

kvndoy New Member

The weird thing is that the brass is still in the chamber. I had to manually extract the round. This happens four times out of 25 rounds shot.

6. Rick1967

When you manually extract the round are you able to easily cycle the action, or is it stuck a little?

7. kvndoy

kvndoy New Member

8. kvndoy

kvndoy New Member

Ammo is in picture if I did it rigjt

Attached Files:

9. Rick1967

Were you alternating back and forth. Or did you shoot all of the 54 grains before your started shooting 64 grainers? I ask because I am wondering if you simply developed a gas leak. I am an AR15 guy. But I know that the Mini14 is also gas operated.

10. kvndoy

kvndoy New Member

No I was shooting the 64 grains when the issue happened then I swapped to the 55 grains and had no more issues.

11. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

"jamming" is my favorite by bob marley......

not my fave when its a gun.......:p

I think I responded to other post but.....

#1.....if brand new, did you strip and clean first?

#2....are you using factory mags exclusively?

we'll go from there.....:)

12. kvndoy

kvndoy New Member

Exclusive to factory magazine, stepped and cleaned the night before. Oiled and rubbed down like a night with momma.

13. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

if you have any of the original ammo that jammed...keep some of it.

find another brand of ammo in the same grain and see if you get the same results? you may just need to avoid that specific ammo.

a specific brand of ammo never gave me any probs in my mini...but I have been shooting what works for a long time...haven't put that many different ammos through.

14. tri70

tri70 New Member

Have you given the gun a cleaning? You can bend an aluminum cleaning rod into 90 deg and use a 38/357 wire brush to scrub the chamber. Take a tooth brush with Hoppe's and scrub the bolt face around the extractor claw. You can look at the rims on the cases and see if there is a difference between the 2 brands. Take a picture of an empty case rim that was giving you problems. How old is the rifle? How familiar are you with the mini 14 and shooting?