Jamming problems

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ANAKINANAYA, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

I have reloaded for about 5 years now recently i have reloaded 308 win for my lr-308 i went to the range and shot about 10 rounds then on went click a misfire. Tried to extract it by pulling on the charging handle but couldn't. I had to use a rubber hammer and finally it came out. Tried it again and it happen about four more times rounds look fine. Maybe the neck was expanded to much ? Any advise will help.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yer not holding the cartridge close enuff to the computer for me to tell. :p

two possibles out of many- check case length if you have not been trimming- some brass is noteworthy for "growing" in length. Also check loaded cartridge OAL- too long, you will have rifling marks on bullet from jamming it into lands.

Of course, you have checked and THOROUGHLY cleaned the chamber already...........

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

C3 soo true. Spoken like an old reloader who has been there and done that.:)

DK

4. noylj

noylj Member

There is also incomplete sizing. Use of brass previously fired in another gun or not fully resizing your fired cases.
    You may need a small-base sizing die.
    Load several inert (no powder or primer) rounds and cycle them.

5. csaw44

csaw44 New Member

Also, if the cases are not trimmed you could have a slight bulge just below the shoulder caused by the neck being forced down in the seating die.