Jammed STEVENS 87E Help please!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by thefarmboy21, Feb 26, 2013.

1. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

Just acquired an old Stevens model 87E and I can NOT find hardly anything on it. No schematics, no take down, no specifications. All I can find is its supposed to shoot .22 shorts, .22 longs and .22 LR's. And that they made the 87 series for a long time and the E model isn't very easy to find anything on. It's jammed right now, the bolt moves back and forth slightly and I have no idea if there's a round stuck in it or not. It's old, beat, scratched and rusty....just wanna figure out how to get it functioning and if parts are available. Also having similar problems with a junk Remingon 522 Viper. I'll probably have a post on it in the near future. Any of you guys have any knowledge and wisdom OR just point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

Anyone know if parts from the other models or any other gun interchange?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

3. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Taking for granted you have removed the stock. Soak the jammed parts in soap and water. What ever you wash your clothes with will work.....Then every day work the action till you get the results you want. Keep soakin till then......Rain water works best........

4. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

No, stock hasn't been removed yet. Squirted some PB Blast in various locations of it last night. My buddy dropped it off late last night, so I haven't had time to fool with it.

5. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Don't hurry.....

Be carefull and don't force the process. Either way, it takes time for the break down of crude holding it in place.......

6. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

Ok I appreciate it. Any idea how the internals come apart?

7. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

Sweet that helps a lot. Thanks

8. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Looks just like my Stevens 987 don't know about interchange of parts though. Take it out of the stock and take the trigger group off (watch so you don't lose the circlip that holds the safety). Take off the cap with the safety lever off (unscrews, righty tighty, lefty loosy). Should be able to remove the hammer and firing pin. Go from there.

9. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

Great, I'll try that thanks. Unfortunately I didn't get to tinker on it tonight (went pistol shopping) so hopefully tomorrow evening or Thursday.

10. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

Well it's unstuck now.....either we're idiots or it really was jammed, but I've not seen a gun like this. The little bolt/handle that goes into the action bolt, slides in and out. The receiver has two holes in it, and the little bolt slides all the way through to either lock it closed or lock it open. I've never seen a gun that works like this....can anyone shed some light on it? Also if my understanding is correct, that I should somehow be able to adjust the recoil spring for the size of .22 shell I use (short vs LR etc) This gun was much before my time and while I am fairly used to auto guns and .22's I've never shot this old of a semi auto rifle to my knowledge. The only thing I've ever shot a .22 short in was a Henry lever action. Also I'm not certain that the inner magazine feed tube is the correct one for the actual magazine tube. It has an old metal follower instead of the plastic one and it just doesn't look right when it's in there. BUT I guess if it works it works, just hope it does haha.

11. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I think that for long rifle you leave the "bolt" out and it will function as a semi auto.

For shorts and standard rifle ammo you lock the bolt and fire as a single shot.

12. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

YEP, found that on the barrel last night after I got some of the rust off. I got it cleaned up some last night. It was full of hard, black grease and sand :/ Someone was ROUGH on this old gun. Most of the screws are seized, so I was unable to remove the trigger and also the feed assembly and tube. BUT I got all the "internals" out and cleaned up. Put it back together and dropped 5 rounds down the tube and let all 5 fly in a couple seconds. Old gun cycled flawlessly. Just hope I can get the other little screws out to really tear this thing down. They're just too soft and I'm tearing up the heads of them ?!?!