Jammed slide w/a live round.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Vincine, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I've been trying some 9mm reloaded lead round nose in a G19 w/a Lone Wolf barrel. I've put just over 190 rounds through it without a problem. On the last magazine she jammed after five shots. The slide has almost retuned to battery and is now immovable. The barrel is slightly angled. There is a live round in the pistol. Nothing concerning an immovable slide turned up on the search.

Any suggestions?

2. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Check the Glock forum, maybe there is a Glock Armorer on there?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You're kinda sol. The bullet is the cause of the jam (Most likely) not a failed part. All you can really do is drop the mag and carefully bang the slide into or out of battery. Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Take a peak up the grip and see if you can tell for sure that the round is causing the jam.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Pointing the gun in a safe direction (because it may go off) hold the slide tightly with one hand. Take the other hand and try to slap the back of the grip. You need to cycle the slide back. Do not force it into battery.

Some times you can sit the front of the gun on the edge of a shooting table. Do it so that the barrel will be off the edge of the table. Then try hitting the back of the grip with a block of wood. Again, be careful not to put your feet or any other part of your body in front of the muzzle. I would try to do this at a shooting range if I were you.

6. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Had the same thing happen to my Shield, and the above worked to free it. I didn't have to hit the back though, just downward pressure with my weight behind it popped it loose pretty easily. Good luck, and be careful!

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Sounds like you've had experience with this, or something like it. I'm getting that I should put a mag back in the pistol, secure the slide in vise, and whack the grip with a mallet or something to get the slide to lock back. If I can't find a brave gunsmith, that's what i'll try.

8. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Not to speak for someone else, but not quite what he was saying. If you have a wooden table/bench (or just a large piece of wood will also work), point the gun down and put the front of the slide against the wood but keeping the barrel clear. Then just push straight down on the frame. Frame goes down, slide pushes against wood and stays in place, stuck round pops out. At least that's how it worked for me. If that doesn't make sense I can post a pick in a few.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think I got it. It's just that the slide is SO jammed that I'm guessing I'll take more than my body weight to free it. But I'll certainly try it 'your' way first. Maybe tomorrow. We've got pressure treated ties holding back the berms at our outdoor range. This time of the year they're hard frozen too, so I doubt they'd give when I leaned on the grip.

Were you able to determine the cause of your jam? Was the bullet.not seated far enough down in the case?Or what?

10. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I thought the same thing with mine, it was so stuck there was absolutely ZERO movement when I tried to clear it by hand, but it came right out when I did the above. Hope it works the same for you.

Don't know exactly what caused it, but I'm about 99.9% sure it was an ammo problem (Ultramax bulk remanufactured) not a gun problem.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

It DID work! Color me astonished! Not right away. I think on the third or fourth time I leaned on it. It gave way all at once. I didn't think to put down a towel or something, so the round fell into the snow, somewhere. I couldn't find it so I don't know what it looked like. I didn't notice anything odd when I loaded them in the magazines. First time I shot lead out of the Glock. Geez, it gets dirty! Anyway, thanks guys for your help.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good news! I also think it's a bad round but you may not find it to be sure until the snow melts. For now I'd just carefully look at the remaining rounds. I highly doubt it's the Glock or Lone Wolf barrel, which leaves he ammo. I've had absolutely no problems with my LWB in a Glock.

13. Budasac

Budasac New Member

I just had this exact situation this afternoon at my range with the SR1911. (Using reloads as well.) First time for me. The slide was locked up tight. When I was finally able to eject the round I could see that it got hung up on the edge of the primer, which was now cocked on an angle and slightly sticking out (Wish I took a pic).

Glad you got it squared away. I have a Lone Wolf barrel in my G23 as well. Haven't had any issue at all with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I pull the barrel and drop every reloaded round into the barrel or into the cylinder on a revolver. If it does not drop, it gets put aside to be fixed or taken apart. A little extra care will eliminate most problems. I got into the habit when I was learning and thought it best not to quit.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Common problem with handloads that are not assembled correctly. A bullet that is loaded too long can do this. The driving band is caught on the throat. An insufficiently belled case can shave some lead and cause this. Try to find the offending round and you will get a good idea what caused this.

16. NDMarksman

NDMarksman Member Supporter

Lone Welf Barrels

This is a problem I experienced with 147 grain XTP reloads in both my G19 and my G17 shooting a Lone Wolf barrel. The problem is that the barrels have a "stepped" throat instead of tapered. Find a local gunsmith, give him the barrel along with a couple of your "dummy" reloads and have him re-ream & taper throat the chamber. The bullets are grabbing the lands of the riflings just enough to cause the problem. Once you've addressed the problem you'll be quite please with the performance! Rick1967 gave the spot on solution for getting "free" of the locked up slide.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  17. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

wow.... be sure to engage the manual safety if your going to try this
    verde

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

lol :D

19. NDMarksman

NDMarksman Member Supporter

The Safety ??

KG7IL Glocks don't have anything other than a safety built into the trigger so I really don't think that's going to work. I'll back up and watch you though....lol

20. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I've now shot 300 rounds of the 9mm LRN reloads I bought while back. I've had four that jammed the slide and prevented it going back into battery. I tried them a couple of times and they jammed the slide each time. Looking at them it appears they are slightly 'ballooned' at the bottom of the case. I tried putting them in the barrel manually when I was cleaned the Glock and they don't slide all the way into the chamber. They stick out maybe a 16th".

I'll be sorting the rounds before I load them now. Four out of 300. Is that good, bad, typical?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014