James Brady dies..........

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by winds-of-change, Aug 6, 2014.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Very sad he took a round to the head. Very valiant to struggle and mostly recover from it. His name will always be thought of "in Sync" with the Background check. Again, the person, not the tool, is the criminal..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I don't know if the background checks work as intended. What I do know is, a crazy POS nearly killed Ronald Reagan. Reagan! The course of human history was about to take a different turn. At the time I'd have been open to any ******* suggestion on how to prevent that from happening again, ever. Nobody came up with anything better than the Brady Campaign. Too bad. I'll take it.

James Brady suffered greatly, because he was there in service of President Reagan. He took a bullet intended for Reagan. He was a martyr for America. RIP.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

he and Reagan were the victims of a deranged gunman who had delusions of grandeur.

he was left pretty much an invalid after he was shot, and forever his legacy afterwards will be the Brady Bill.

5. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Being a victim of a violent crime is a lifechanger for sure, both RR (emotionally) and JB (Physically) were severely traumatized by the attack in ways that caused them both to use their pulpit to seek greater safety for themselves and others. I dont blame either for looking towards new laws to do this but I dont agree that the laws they hoped would diminish this type of thing did much of anything to prevent future ones either. As Axxe pointed out, this wasnt a strategic crime of opportunity, it was a nutcase going crazy and insufficient protective posture for someone who was in the cross-hairs of allot of folks that hated him for his beliefs.

Immediately after this happened, the only thing that could help protect these folks happened, they eliminated nearly all public contact in uncontrolled situations for dignitaries like POTUSes and Popes, that has probably saved allot more of them than any BCG Check that came out of the tragic attack on my favorite president.

I always felt very sorry for Mr Brady, his life was ruined just because he was close to a very well known target. He should be fondly remembered for taking a bullet that had our presidents name on it not putting his name on a bill that wouldnt have stopped the occurrence of the tragedy to begin with.

6. Axxe55

John Hinckley Jr. was a seriously unbalanced and mentally unstable person.

i can't say even had there been a law in place like the Brady Bill already, that it would have stopped or prevented the same attack that happened.

here's some information about Hinckley that might be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley,_Jr.

7. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Our current BCG stats actually prove it wouldnt have prevented anything. Denial is the first step, the second step which is prosecution happens less than 5% of the time. So if Hinckley or another crazy person got denied and nobody does a thing about him trying to buy a gun, his next step is to buy a gun on the corner from a punk who stole his grandaddies pocket pistol that has no trace at all possible. Then he shoots Brady or instead just ran him down with a Van, now he, 4 SS guys and Ronald Reagan are dead, thats not any less probable under the conditions this crap happens.

Laws like locks arent prevention, just short detours from easy to simple enough.

8. Axxe55

another point to consider is that a person can be mentally unstable and appear normal. and unless they have been committed to a mental facility of some sort, then there is no way they would be denied from purchasing a firearm legally.

in just the past couple of years, there now have been violent shooting where the shooter was know to have mental problems and no one did anything about it, allowing them to still legally purchase firearms.

so in some cases, a BGC is not going to stop a mentally unstable person unless there have been instances where they have been committed in the past for mental issues and this is on their record.

9. Cnon

Cnon Member

That's correct.

Cnon

10. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Very conflicted. I think the Brady family has done horrible by this country in terms of our freedoms, but James Brady himself seemed to be an honorable man who found himself in a horrible situation.

May he R.I.P. but I hope his legacy soon fades away as well.

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no respect for him or his wife. They, the progressives, used his disability to further the progressive agenda to disarm honest citizens. We will ALL die, so I do not celibate nor morn his passing.:(

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  12. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Mr. Brady was used as a sacrificial pawn in the ongoing drive to void the 2nd amendment, and the Bill of Rights in general. But Hinckley was/is just a nut who has the distinction of making headlines with his insanity.
    It is strange that he was so obsessed with Jody Foster, an avowed lesbian, who would never have had any interest in him from the git-go.

13. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

It was the 80's. People were still trying to pass Liberace off as straight.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

James Brady sufferred a terrible ordeal. His wife used him to further her agenda. I have no hard feelings toward him. Her, on the other hand, is a shrill biotch who should be forever separated from her husband in the hereafter.

15. Axxe55

i'm sorry i was late to the meeting on that one!:eek:

i didn't know she was until a few years ago.

but i wasn't all gaga over her, like Hinckley was either!:p

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I never blamed him for any of the crap that was done in his name. The rest of his life was spent as a tool of handlers; and whether or not he agreed with it, there is nothing he could have done about it. If there was ever a "victim" of the anti-2A crowd, it was him.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Commander Kelly is in the exact same position as Mrs Brady once was. I have no problem with him.

I know nothing about her as a person. I have an idea what she went through with her husband. He was Reagan's press secretary! Sharp witted, quick on his feet - now slumped in the wheelchair, cross eyed, a blubbery shadow of the guy she married. I understand where she came from. I might put up a fight with her, on the issues, but I would not judge her as a person.

To every one of you with a grudge and a smirk, you can only hope your own wife would be so wounded emotionally if you were shot in the head.

18. Axxe55

well i honestly know my wife wouldn't champion the cause for more ineffective gun control laws.

19. Highpower

Highpower New Member

If anything my better half would be looking to return the favor. :eek:
    She and Tuco share the same philosophy....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvSZ_HQmZgQ[/ame]

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Movie cowboys and Internet cowboys have a lot in common.