J. Stevens 410 Shotgun Stock Restoration

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by vmkeith, Dec 10, 2011.

1. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

Along with the Stevens Favorite I got from my grandpa, I also got this J. Stevens 410 Shotgun that I'm working on.

Pic of the shotgun
    [​IMG]

Stock and handguard before restoration...not in that bad of shape
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stock and handguard after cleaning, degreasing, steaming, bleaching, and sanding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't started on the WATCO Teak Oil yet, so I'm far from finished. But I love the way the grain of the wood came out.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Good looking job. Please post pics when finished.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

At one time, they used nice wood even on utility grade guns. I have a couple of old Mossberg 22s that have grain that looks like a tiger's eye ring.

Very nice job on your shotgun.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very nice grain to the wood. should look good when finished. i can't wait to see the finished job. :)

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Looking very nice so far. Looking forward to the final results. BTW, you mentioned "bleaching".. please elaberate if you don't mind.

6. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

I've seen rifle and shotgun stocks that have stains from either gun oil or other gunk. There are wood bleaching products available to get those stains out...that's what I mean by bleaching. Another method that works is running the stocks in the dishwasher with detergent.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Thanks... I posted to your other thread.. Good work.

8. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

I got some more work done with the stock and handguard of my Stevens 410 shotgun. Both got 3 coats of WATCO Teak Oil, a light sanding with 320 grit sandpaper after drying, and then 2 more coats of Teak Oil. Now to let them dry for the next few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]