J frame and Chief

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Missouribound, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I am not afraid to ask stupid questions....so here goes.
    I am left handed and have a chance to purchase a #209 Bianchi left handed shoulder holster, which is for the S&W Chief. Now I have been told and have done some research that indicates the Chief is indeed a J frame....and the gun I want to stick in this holster will be an Airweight J frame. I neither have access to a J frame nor the holster at this time.
    So here is the question. Does anyone know if this is a holster which will work with the gun I want to use? I have seen pictures of the holster and it is in good shape, and of course very reasonably priced. But if it won't work....I don't need another reasonably priced holster just sitting around. The Airwieght is my next purchase, but not until next year.
    Any comments, thoughts, suggestions? And thanks for any help or direction you can give me.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the S&W Chief's special is a j-frame.

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Yes, the only difference is that the airweight has an aluminum frame and the chiefs special is all steel. They have the same dimensions

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

J frames come in 3 basic styles.

Standard - exposed hammer

Bodyguard - shrouded hammer

Centennial - enclosed hammer

The frame "size" is the same. Materials vary from steel to aluminum alloy to scandium alloy.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What is the purpose of this holster? For concealed carry? Plinking? is your weather down there very hot in the summers where making this holster sweat and be even more uncomfortable for an all day carry kinda thing?

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I carried a nickel plated Chief for a couple of years before switching to my 1911. The Chief was so light I hardly knew it was there. For control, I don't know if I would want an even lighter aluminum frame.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Lots of shoulder holsters are in good condition because they don't get worn much. Most folks figure out that they aren't really convenient for everyday dress, unless you wear a suit a lot and leave your jacket on. I carried an Airweight for quite a while in pocket holsters or in the waistband holsters. Pretty comfortable and concealable there.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A Model 37 Airweight is my everyday carry. I love that gun.

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

For concealed, I carry my 442 in a DeSantis pocket holster that just sits in my jacket pocket and holds the gun in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

It looks like the retention on the #209 does not involve the upper back strap, hammer, shroud or other differences in this area. Should be fine, if the primary retention (Elastic strap putting pressure on cylinder area?) is working.

It is important to have a shoulder holster. No box of unused leather is complete with out a upside-down rig . . . :)

11. cbartrip6

cbartrip6 New Member

I love my airweight J Frame. It is the gun I carry most often. You will not regret the purchase.

As for your question, yes that shoulder holster is designed for that gun. I do not own a shoulder holster because one does not serve a practical purpose to me. I carry it 3 different ways but just as with gun selection, where you carry it is all personal preference.

I have an Uncle Mike's IWB, pocket holster, and a nice OWB Desantis crossdraw that normally comes out in winter when I wear sweaters and other loose clothing.