J.c higgins

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bwalka, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Does anybody have one of these shotguns. My grandpa gave me a hand me down higgins 12 gauge and I want some info on it. Any would help thanks

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

J.C. Higgins was the "store brand" of Sears. Companies such as Savage, Mossberg, High Standard, Winchester, Marlin, etc etc made guns for Sears, but marked them J.C. Higgins (later years, Ted Williams)

There will be a number on the barrel that you think is a serial number, but it is not. It is the model number- something like 583.105 or something like that. Post the model number, and we can probably tell you who made it.

The guns were just as good as the parent model, but might have a plainer finish, etc.

The store brand of Revelation was used in a similar manner by Western Auto, and Westernfield by Montgomery Wards stores.

Sears sold MILLIONS of guns under the J.C. Higgins label, and left the gun business in 1989.

3. bwalka

bwalka New Member

It says a model 12

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

How about more information and photos? Is it a semi-auto, bolt action, pump?

I've shot a Ted Williams semi-auto 12 ga with vari-choke for years and love that thing. It was made ~1975, so your JC Higgins must be older than that.

5. bwalka

bwalka New Member

It's a pump. Is it possible to have a Polly choke or have it threaded to accept chokes

6. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

I have the same gun. Its a pretty cool gun. I had a ? About it too. Can the choke be removed, I was hoping to cut it down to 18.5"?

image-789135741.jpg

image-2510569506.jpg

7. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Mines a modified factory choke

8. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Oh mine is adjustable, I was hoping to cut the barrel and get the choke reatatched.

9. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

The poly choke can be removed, but the barrel is externally threaded, so it would look strange. I really like the poly choke. Some say they don't pattern well, but that's not been my experience. It's nice to be able to adjust the choke with a twist...wide for trap or tight for Pheasant are just a twist or two away.

10. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Your pump looks a lot like the Ted Williams 12 ga Model 300. The model 300 was basically a Winchester Model 1400. My guess is the Initial Poster's pump is also from Winchester.

11. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I want to have it threaded to accept screw in chokes. Can I take to a gunsmith and have it done

12. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Hmmm...yes...but they might need to shorten the barrel to get past the exterior threads left by the vari-choke. If you have the rib on top, that might pose some challenges for the gun smith.

13. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

What about for mine? Is it possable?

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Do not expect to find parts for it. Its not very easy to.

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Having a gunsmith adapt it to screw-in chokes is most likely possible(depends on barrel thickness). This would be fairly expensive. Cost wise you would most likely be better off selling or trading that gun and getting one that has screw-in chokes already. A different shotgun would also give you the ability to shoot 3" shells as yours is likely 2-3/4" only.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, but here is no listing for a J.C. Higgins Model 12 in my references. Many of their pump guns, such as the Model 20 and 21 were actually High Standard Flite Kings.

Does yours look anything like this one? some had the variable choke, some did not.

j c higgins model 20.jpg

17. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Sorry j meant model 20

18. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

does it look like this?

[​IMG]

if so, like C3 said it was made by high standard. i think early ones were high standard model 200's & later ones were flite kings, but i think the only difference is the vent rib barrel on the later models. in my opinion they are really nice guns for the money, i paid $99 for mine a couple years ago.

i'm not sure about choking it though, that may be a question for a gunsmith. from my research online, some say a smith may have to look at it in person to see if the barrel is thick enough at the muzzle