J.C. Higgins model 29

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by smokinmag26, Aug 9, 2011.

1. smokinmag26

smokinmag26 New Member

J.C. Higgins model 29 Rust help!

Hello!!

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a few older rifles that have been passed down from this Model 29 to a Inland M1 Carbine. I have finally decided to spruce up my model 29 that was passed down from my grandfather to my dad and now its mine. The stock scope is very rusted and some other smaller spots of rust on the barrel as well. I have completely disassembled the rifle and am currently refinishing the stock and forearm with a kit from Birchwood Casey. So far it is looking good. My questions is if anyone can recommend a good kit for the rust or if there is something i can do to completely refinish all the metal.

I will post some pics of the stock and forearm refinishing soon.:D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. smokinmag26

smokinmag26 New Member

Pic

Here are some before pics of the .22

Attached Files:

3. teaberryeagle

teaberryeagle New Member

Like your photos......I have this one, too! This was the second model .22 that I ever owned........I'll share photos of mine when I take a few...:D

4. smokinmag26

smokinmag26 New Member

Thanks.. Here are some more from the work i got done today. I was able to sand the stock and forearm and put on the first coat..

Attached Files:

5. smokinmag26

smokinmag26 New Member

She is done!

looks a lot better! :D

Attached Files:

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

awesome work. looks good

7. smokinmag26

smokinmag26 New Member

Thanks! its always fun to give life back to some of the older rifles... took about a week... well worth the work!

8. teaberryeagle

teaberryeagle New Member

Upon taking another look at my .22, I find that it is a Model 31 instead of
    Model 29, as yours......although they look almost identical.....here's a photo of mine.....:D

Attached Files:

9. smokinmag26

smokinmag26 New Member

WOw! they really do look like the same gun! looks good!

10. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Fun old guns. Made by High Standard. One of the few models out there
    that will handle short/long/long rifle in any mix.

I've got a 31, with the spring loaded red nylon strap sling that's built in
    to the buttstock.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You did gud :cool:
    Its very satisfying to make a old gun look as new again - One of my main "hobbies" :)

12. teaberryeagle

teaberryeagle New Member

I wasn't aware of the "sling" feature in the 31......had to go dig mine out and take another look at the butt plate to see if I had overlooked something...:D
    Here's a photo to prove the "short/long/long rifle" mix feature.....
    Did "High Standard" make the "J. C. Higgins" for Sears, Roebuck and Co.??...:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wow- That IS light :cool:

14. teaberryeagle

teaberryeagle New Member

Found another photo and corrected it..........may look a little better......:D

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

YUP - much :D

16. smokinmag26

smokinmag26 New Member

Thanks! this was my 3rd run.. its a good feeling of pride to see it done:D

17. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

My Model 30 has the red nylon retractable sling too, and the cocking handle on the LEFT side in front of the bolt. Makes a good companion for my CETME, as it is left-side cocking too!
    I had also refinished the stocks, as these old twentytwos are so often beat-up after thirty-forty years!
    The old rifles will generally outshoot today's rifles. This old Model 30 and my Springfield 87A will both easily outshoot my 2001-produced Ruger 10-22 and Marlin 60SB!

18. 1bad60

1bad60 New Member

What type of scope mounts did you use. I haven't been able to find any that fit the small grooved receiver?

thanks,
    jim

19. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"What type of scope mounts did you use. I haven't been able to find any that fit the small grooved receiver?"

Those came with the scope as it was made just for a .22. Here's what you need if you want to use a 1" scope.
    1 Sport Utility 22 Rimfire Airgun Rings Low Matte
    Many companies make these in slightly different styles. The link above is just a sample.

20. 1bad60

1bad60 New Member

Thanks for your response but the j.c. higgins has 5/16" dove tail and the 3/8" are too loose.