J.C. Higgins 50 in 30-06

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Scorpio, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Hey there folks, anyone know where I can get an owners manual for this old 1950's rifle? It was put out by Sears back then. Any info for acquiring an owners manual would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check who manufactured the rifle. Sears, and other places, would make a contract with a firearm manufacturer to "rename" one the their models. One place that could help in identifying who originally made it is: Numrich Gun Parts Corporation
    Good luck.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Re: Jc Higgins 50

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the info. I know who manufactured it but I never occurred to write them because I thought the company folded. But I went to their website and wrote them an e-mail. Will see what happens. Fabrique National was the manufacturer for this year.

Thanks

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The J.C. Higgins M50 was an FN Mauser sporter. It is a standard Large Ring Mauser action. The barrels were chrome lined, and are excellent.

If you need dis-assembly instructions, there is a website with good instructions and diagrams, SurplusRifle.com.

The FN Commercial Mausers are considered some of the best ever made.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Thanks for the info M14sRock! I will check out the link.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My pleasure. You will be looking for dis-assembly instructions for a K98 Mauser.

7. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I see manuals for sale on this model fairly often on GUNBROKER. Simply go to their homepage, scroll down to RIFLES which is on the left side, when it goes to this catagory, simply enter Mauser in the search window and go shopping.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Sweet! Thank you too 30-30remchester

9. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Let me see if I can find a commercial action manual. I have bought from Cornell Publishing in the past. Try here Cornell Publications | Search Results for <br /> <b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: Keywords in <b>/var/www/vhosts/cornellpubs.com/httpdocs/searchResults.php</b> on line <b>169</b><br />.

11. SteveK

SteveK New Member

Go to Numrich Gun Parts & scroll down to the botom of the page & there you will find a cross reference, click on that and scroll down until you find the make & model of your gun and it will tell you the original manuf. of your gun, then call that company and see if they have a manual.

12. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

re: JC Higgins 50

Thanks to SteveK and others and namely 30-30remchester for pointing me to Gunbroker where I found a reprint of the owners manual.

Cheers:D