J C Higgins 45cal 30-30 lever action

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jrs_1@earthlink.net, Aug 24, 2009.

1. jrs_1@earthlink.net

jrs_1@earthlink.net New Member

Where can I find info on this gun. I bought it used and would like to know its year, how to break down for cleaning and what its value may be. Can anyone help. I've been to the Higgins web site and could not find the gun SN v7898

2. orangello

orangello New Member

The description of "45 caliber 30-30" seems self-contradicting as both "45 caliber" and "30-30" refer to the size of the bore/the ammunition used in a weapon. I guess it is a lever action rifle in .45 caliber.?? That may have impaired your searches.

edit*http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137918867 If it looks like this one, that is one nice gun, congratulations! It is a MODEL 45, but does not specify what caliber it is; maybe that is your search hangup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._C._Higgins Wiki seems to think JC Higgins was a brand sold by Sears but manufactured by different gunmakers depending on the time or model, as does this Sears archive site http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/jchiggins.htm .

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009

3. jrs_1@earthlink.net

45 cal j c higgins 30-30

Orangello:
    Thanks for the reply. I thought the same, thats what is on the barrell 45cal 30-30 j c higgins. So I am confused. It's in good shape with a SN V7898
    I can't find any modle # other than that. I'd like to know the year made, must be 1970 or before i think. I tried the web site but could not mach up the SN and found no lever action at all or 30-30. They list some 30-06 but I don't know if that is the same or a different bore. I believe its a different bore. I clearly don't know a whole lot about it or this site. Any help would be great. Please E-mail me at jrs_1@earthlink.net

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

JC Higgins was a Sears & Roebuck make before they changed all of their sporting goods to Ted Williams, so they are old.

Gello is correct about the caliber thing. .45 cal and .30-30 are 2 different sized rounds.

Also, maybe go to the 'Introductions' thread and say hello. :)

5. jrs_1@earthlink.net

j c higgins lever action 30-30

Yes that is the gun. The wrighting on the barrel is a little different but over all the same lines. How might I tell the year?? I bought this one for 235.00 but its not quite a nice as the one you showed me. Mine has a few more scratches in the wood. Thanks
    Joe

6. orangello

orangello New Member

missed your last post, sorry.
    I'm not sure about the exact year, but it doesn't seem new: "The J.C. Higgins brand disappeared shortly after Sears introduced the Ted Williams brand of sporting and recreation goods in 1961." according to the Sears archive link.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  7. jrs_1@earthlink.net

higgins 30-30 lever action

Thanks guys-- gota go but thanks for the help. I'll check back in tonight

Joe

8. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Your JC Higgins (SEARS) mod.45 was made by Marlin (Mod 336-C).The markings on the barrel should be something like this ( JC Higgins 45 cal 30-30). It is a Mod-45 in 30-30 caliber. I hate to say though, that judging by your description, you paid too much. It should be a good shooter though. I have owned several Marlins throughout the years and still do... Hope this helps..

Jim................

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009