Ivory grips care/tips

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by thewildwonder, May 3, 2013.

1. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

My friend bought me some ivory grips... (Good friend right? :) )

Anyways they are very shiny and new and I would like to keep them from turning 2 different colors from getting carried.

I have a crossbreed supertuck coming in the mail as soon as the wait time is up -.- will that keep them off my body enough to not age separately?

And do I need to oil seal them or anything? They seem very sealed and... Un-toothy as is

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Are they true ivory?
    Or a manufactured ivory.

3. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

They're ivory ivory lol

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Than why would you carry them? :confused:

5. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I love ivory grips and I like it when they are aged. If you want to keep them in pristine condition, keep them off the gun and put them away for safe keeping. I personally would leave them on the gun and let them age as they will.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

7. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I have a pair of natural elephant Ivory grips from Sarge (pre-ban Ivory)...

I agree with Rhyno that some age/patina (yellowing) is very desirable. However, whether or not you keep them on the gun or store them, you should rub them down with some mineral oil every two months or so. Some folks do this every month.

I purchased a small bottle from my local CVS pharmacy and use a small round cotton pad (the ones that my wife uses to take off her makeup) and put a little oil on one and then lightly rub the front and back (all exposed surfaces) of the grip. I leave the surfaces wet overnight and then wipe down the next morning.

Not sure that this will do anything for the color of the grip but it helps preserve them by keeping the Ivory moisterized - otherwise they will shrink a bit over time (maybe years, but Ivory will shrink up some if not kept moisterized).

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  8. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

Lol they were purchased from Wilson combat I have the receipt... They can worry about the legality ;p

9. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

Thanks for the knowledge tho guys in very new to ivory...

And I'm not the kind of guy to get something nice and leave it in a closet... I want my ivory grips on my gun ;p

Patton carried ivory so I'm carrying ivory ;p

I want to be able to say "only a pimp in a cheap New Orleans whore house would have pearl grips" lol

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Well sounds like a good enough reason to me. Carry on.

11. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

Thank you sir ;)

12. AR10

AR10 New Member

Real yanked out of a screaming elephant ivory is pretty brittle. Drop the gun, bump the gun, they will break. Easily scratched.

Not a great upgrade for the downgrade someone else got.

13. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

Lol I didn't ask if they were brittle ;p I asked for tips on how to care for them

People always gotta throw in their opinions... Pretty sure you're all just jealous ;)

14. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

Also I've seen other threads with people with real ivory who bumped and dropped their guns and they were fine....

Do you have ivory grips AR? And did you break them?

15. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

You are correct, they are pretty durable...
    "can" they crack or chip? Yes, but keeping them moisturized/oiled will help. And any drop or smack of the gun that would be significant enough to do so would also cause other damage to the gun's finish as well. You can carry and shoot them with confidence, I have and do.

Also, they can scuff and scratch (again, no differently than the gun's finish). There is a guy named Dan Chinnock (www.danchinnock.com) who works with mammoth and elephant ivory. He sells a very inexpensive ivory file/buffer. It's like $5 or $10 bucks. I have two - works very well to take out any scuffs and shine up the grips!

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i like the patina of aged ivory better. kind of like the ivory grips on John Waynes pistols! a yellow patina to them.

17. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

Yeah I want mine to age! I just don't want them to age to differently between the two grips ha.

And thanks for the help, again everyone!

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my thinking is they should age pretty evenly.

19. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

I guess we'll see haha.. If they start aging differently ill just figure it out from there I suppose. I've had them on for like 2 days so I have some time before I have to start worrying ;)