Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I have this .410 and cannot seem to find a real answer on it's origin. The left side has 'Newport' stamped with 'P' inside of a diamond underneath. Beneath the triggerguard has the serial number E 87000 XG. I have read on numerous gun forums and have not found a similiarly marked shotgun. The explanations have ranged from Iver Johnson 'Champion' model to Crescent produced for Hibbard, Spencer, & Bartlett. The barrel is stamped '3 INCH CHAMBER' and there are no other barrel markings. The schematics on gunpartscorp.com for Iver Johnson seem to match?

·
Administrator
26,850 Posts
Very nice! I like the old singles. Most have no great colelctor's value, but they were durable and reliable. They were the guns of the farmer, storekeeper, mechanic- and I like to think about the link to the folks that had that gun befoer I did.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
CatawbaHammer said:
What do you think? I bought it from my father in law just to keep him from selling it. Had to knock off a lot of rust and it cleaned up pretty nice.
That looks great. You did a really good job. I'm sure that gun has taken a few rabbits in its time. Looks like it will take a few more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.