Iver Johnson or Crescent or Stevens 410

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by CatawbaHammer, Dec 30, 2012.

1. CatawbaHammer

CatawbaHammer New Member

Please help. I have this .410 and cannot seem to find a real answer on it's origin. The left side has 'Newport' stamped with 'P' inside of a diamond underneath. Beneath the triggerguard has the serial number E 87000 XG. I have read on numerous gun forums and have not found a similiarly marked shotgun. The explanations have ranged from Iver Johnson 'Champion' model to Crescent produced for Hibbard, Spencer, & Bartlett. The barrel is stamped '3 INCH CHAMBER' and there are no other barrel markings. The schematics on gunpartscorp.com for Iver Johnson seem to match?

2. CatawbaHammer

CatawbaHammer New Member

pictures

[here are the pics

Attached Files:

3. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Can you get one of the whole gun?

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Both IJ and Crescent used that name for trade name guns sold by HBS. SN stamped behind the trigger guard is characteristic of Crescent.

5. CatawbaHammer

CatawbaHammer New Member

What do you think? I bought it from my father in law just to keep him from selling it. Had to knock off a lot of rust and it cleaned up pretty nice.

Attached Files:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Very nice! I like the old singles. Most have no great colelctor's value, but they were durable and reliable. They were the guns of the farmer, storekeeper, mechanic- and I like to think about the link to the folks that had that gun befoer I did.

7. CatawbaHammer

CatawbaHammer New Member

true C3. I do enjoy holding an old gun and thinking about its past owners; and I'm sure we've all bought a gun or three just because the gun needed someone to take care of it......

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

That looks great. You did a really good job. I'm sure that gun has taken a few rabbits in its time. Looks like it will take a few more.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That shotgun was built for one of the many Hardware Stores by Iver Johnson, should be a nice little single barrel shotgun...............