Iver Johnson champion 28 ga.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by jimmyp7162, Dec 12, 2014.

1. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

Just picked up a new single shot 28 ga. It's near 100 years old and by no means neglected, it needs some work. Value probably isn't much, and I don't care. Can't wait to take this to the woods to shoot a grouse or squirrel. Any one else have a soft spot for the old ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

101 yr old Hopkins & Allen 3rd model hammerless, side by side 12 g. Works good on doves.

3. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I have an old Ivor Johnson 16 gage that my father got from my grandfather and I'm going to give to my son. It still spits the shells 10 feet behind me. I've killed plenty of doves with it. One shot makes you get pretty good at leading the bird. If I'm fast enough I can get two shots off. I always have a second shell between my left fingers.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

When I am shotgunning I shoot more single barrel than any thing !...............

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an Iver Johnson "Champion" in 410. My first shotgun when I was 5 years old. Love it!

I wanted one in 16GA a few years later, but my dad bought me a Winchester 16GA SXS double instead and I forget about the old I.J. for many years. When I was about 35, I dug it out of the safe and started hunting doves and with it. Great old gun.:)

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We didn't get to see a brand name gun of any fashion unless we were window shopping. We saw plenty of Revelations, Westernfields, and so on.

I really liked Iver Johnson pistols. Iver Johnson made some very practical pistols. If you saw an Iver Johnson that didn't show a lot of holster wear you were concerned about getting a lemon.