iver johnson .32 cal 6 shot revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by xXtacticalrimfireXx, Jan 20, 2012.

1. xXtacticalrimfireXx

xXtacticalrimfireXx New Member

Just got this for fifty b you cost I was wondering if anyone had any info on this gun I've yet to find a reliable source

ForumRunner_20120120_143808.jpg

(remington scoremaster a.k.a "squirrelmaster")

2. IDVague

IDVague New Member

It looks like the little brother to my IJ .38 S&W (5-shot), 3rd model. Circa 1909.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

If you fire it, be careful what ammo you choose to use. I would think it probably predates todays pressures.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Not much to say about them. They made about 64 gazillion of them. Fifty to one hundred is about the average price. Even when new they did not have a very tight lock-up. Shoot it at your own risk and if you do stand well away from other people(yes I have shot a few of them to). I have to say that they are a piece of American history.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Pretty much agree with hiwall-
    I've had a couple in my CAS days-
    Be dam carefull - if your not familiar with such have a gunsmith check it out :eek:
    BTW- They're a hoot to shoot with black powder loads :cool:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Iver vas a goot Norvegan boy that was a gunsmith, emigrated to the US, and set up a gun making business in Mass, about 1871. When the company closed in 1993, they had made a few bazillion guns.

While not real high dollar guns, they were well made, and used a transfer bar system for the firing pin (pressure on an uncocked hammer puts NO pressure on firing pin)

DO have a smith check the timing. Modern 32 S&W ammo should be fine (stick w/ round nosed lead) your gun was well after black powder era, and SAAMI on .32 S&W is mild.

By the way, a .32 IJ worked well enough to assasinate President McKinley-

If you have ever heard reference to an "Owl's Head" revolver- that be it. They also made rifles, shotguns, and bicycles.

7. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member