Iver Johnson 1911's?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by colmustard, Mar 2, 2014.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

http://www.iverjohnsonarms.com/

These seem really cheap and tacky. Also I thought they were out of business and the guns they used to make were of poor quality. Any opinions?

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My Friend about 3 streets over loves 1911's like most of us do. He's Got the Commander length one and carries it Daily. Like Several Members here he's an Ex-Military Guy (32 Years Navy, Ret. as an E8-Guess that Sr. CPO,..).... You could do Worse..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Someone resurrected the Iver Johnson name and started importing inexpensive Philippine guns. Not sure why. They aren't the first, probably not the last.
    Shooters Arms Manufacturing, Google them, they have a site, but I can't get it to open. From what I have read, they are pretty good for their price point. Some of their styling choices are interesting. The Zombie model? Juvenile. The snake models? Awful. The digital camo models are interesting, but a bit busy for my taste. Some of the more normal designs are OK, though. However, all that Cerekote hides a lot of sins... did you look closely at the slide on the "Eagle Polished?" That one should have been cerekoted.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  4. DrFootball

We'll see. for $5 bills I can get the 9MM commander sized...If it's decent, I'll keep it, if not it goes to the Pawn Shop....

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I picked up a used 3" Thrasher model in .45ACP. Shot it a bit today at a bowling pin match and it was a good solid gun. Has a cheap set of grips on it but that will be easily remedied. My only complaint is that it ejects the brass straight up. I'll have to figure out how to change that.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you can adjust the extractor to change where the brass will fall when ejected. i had the same problem with my Commander sized 1911, when i first got it and about every 2nd to 3rd round would try and bounce off my forehead. Canebrake walked me through a tutorial on how to check for if it needed the extractor adjusted and then how to adjust the extractor. when i was finished, it would lay the empties about 5-6 feet right behind my right shoulder.

i will see if i can find the thread where he walked me through it. it wasn't that difficult in the least.

Edit: i found one thread where he goes through how to adjust the extractor. here's a link to that thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kahr-arms-wwii-pkz-se-stoppages-75520/#post1000109

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Thanks. I'll have to give it a try. Seems pretty straight forward.

8. DrFootball

You beat me to it Axxe! That's exactly what I was told was ended to be done back in the day when I shot matches stadily

9. k9guy

k9guy New Member

They are good guns i have owned a few never a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk