I've searched lots, but need expert advice - NEW SHOTGUN

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 4drviper, Oct 7, 2011.

1. 4drviper

4drviper New Member

Hi yall

I've recently moved to SC, living by myself, this is my first post.

I have been trying to buy a shotgun for home self defense

I've done my homework on google, Sportsmens warehouse, etc, but couldn't find the perfect one for you.

and.. there's this part of me some of the members here is far better knowledgable than gun shop employees so,,, here they are.

1. semi auto (i do not want to pump between shots)

2. powerful penetration :D
    i.e. say, a bugglar runs away with something that belongs to me, I wanna shoot through my steel door and drywall, and still get him good
    also, if the bad guy is trying to get away in a vehicle, I'm looking for something to punch a hole in the car from the trunk lid all the way up to the front seat, to the bad guy.

3. easy maintenance
    I don't have time to clean and oil my gun every day,
    but I DO UNDERSTAND the importance of maintenance.
    just sayin, the less, the better.

4. multi-purpose
    i won't go clay shooting with semi-auto LOL but,, hunting, etc. you get my point.

5. easily maneuverable
    I'm not quite sure on this one,,, I like heavy guns kicking nice and deep. but also has to be light enough so i can sprint 1/4mile carrying it
    but too light will end up being snappy so :confused:

any input is greatly appreciated :D

thanks everyone in advance!

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

The Mossberg 500 is a pump, but sounds more like what you need, or even the super popular remingtong 870, also a pump. These have barrel options that might be more up your alley, easy to maintain, can sit in a corner for years collecting dust and still work flawlessly, and can fill ANY role.

BEWARE if you shoot someone in the back, or in the back of the vehicle while they are FLEEING, meaning they are running away, then just expect to go to jail.

Many of the members here don't really appreciate the whole "kill the intruder" thing. Many of us are more concerned with preventing crime, than in killing someone because they did a bad thing, and most are content to let the police handle it if a burglar has already gotten away, some are content to even watch and let a burglar flee and be a good witness when filling out a police report.

A gun is a last resort, never the first, not even in the military nowadays.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I find I'm being kinda rude, sorry about that. And welcome to FTF!

4. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

Your not being rude. People need to understand the responsibility in owning a firearm. If you have done research, you need to do more. If you ever shot someone fleeing from your house, you would defiantly go to prison.

As far as shotguns go... Heres my thing on pump vs semi auto. A pump shotgun has something that most guns don't. A universally recognized, "get the **** out of my house, or you are going to die". Yes im talking about racking the slide. A shotgun's slide racking is one of the most feared sounds, ever. True story.

All shotguns are versatile, that's the appeal to them. Like he said a Mossberg 500 or 870 are two of the most versatile pumps on the market. Anything you need, you can get. Interchangeable barrels, sightings, slings stocks, everything.

You will save yourself anywhere from $300-500 or more buying a pump instead of a semi. for what it's worth, check out the Mossberg 930 spx, or any of Benelli's line of Semi's.

Personally I like racking the slide between shots, it's empowering.

5. 4drviper

4drviper New Member

no not at all.

Thank you for the reminder.
    (even though i was talking about all of us being ON MY land,,)

oh well I'm not gonna shoot a fleeing person LOL

just thought it would be better elaboration than

"I want to blow a watermelon through 1/8" steel" haha

and I apologize for not knowing in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

No semi autos?????

6. 4drviper

4drviper New Member

ahh that slide sound.......

Well, sounds like the pumping sound will do more of what I originally intended to!

and yes, I am truly sorry, again, if that sounded like i'm gonna shoot uninvited guest in the back

7. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

If someone doesn't GTFO after you rack the slide, they need to be shot.

Penetration is more about the round, not the gun. 000buck would probably be the most common load with the deepest penetration. Common as in regular pellet loads, Flechette and slugs are a different story.

8. 762

762 Member

i second the motion to get a pump. my brother has a remington 1100, it's a blast to shoot......when it wants to fire. he has to use a specific shotgun shell or the gun wont cycle the shells properly. that's my only complaint about semi's (whether it's a rifle or shotgun).

i bought a mossberg 500 pump for that reason. when i rack that slide, i know as long as i have ammo in the magazine, it's got a very good chance of going boom when i pull the trigger.

plus, the sound like power said. tell me you wouldnt crap your pants if you broke into someone's house, fumbling around in the dark and you heard that noise. i know i would, but i'd never break into someones house to begin with.

and then there's the cost. my brothers 1100 semi was $700 USED at a gun store. F that. my mossy was $350 out the door. $350 buys a lot of shotgun shells and accessories. speaking of accessories, the 870 and 500 have a bunch available.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Some one did a survey among inmates convicted of burglary, and I wish I could find the information related to it so I could post a link.

Number 1 most terrifying sound when breaking into a house? Big Dog Barking.

Extremely close number 2, almost a tie: Shotgun having a round jacked in the chamber.

Seems the common criminal is just slightly more afraid of a dog than a gun.

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

If they decide to kill you in your own home-then you kill them,but if they flee then let them go,even here in MI where it's legal to kill an unarmed intruder if they are in your home,I would still let them go,that's what makes you human and not an animal.

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would recommend, like the others, a Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590A1, or a Remington 870 Express. I personally have a semi automatic Remington Sportsman 58, but I do not count on it for home defense. Instead the intruder has a few options; One meet my 1911A1, two meet my wife's 1911, or three meet both of our 1911's.

Personally I wouldn't count on the working of the pump on a shotgun to warn or terrify the intruder, because I'm not going to give them any warning for breaking into my home to harm me or my family. Secondly I don't really care if they hear it or not, because I don't hope they get scared of the sound I would rather they get scared of staring down my 1911's barrel.

12. 4drviper

4drviper New Member

hm... but doesn't semi also have that racking sound when you're loading for the first time? lol i'll keep my unloaded so... i think i can still get that rake.

should sound like "oh that's a fingerpull away from blowing my brains out" lol

yes again, sorry everyone for miswording my thoughts.

I DO NOT MEAN TO SHOOT THEM IN THE BACK...

apologies

13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Strictly for home defense....I have recently become a fan of the Mossberg 590A1. A tactical shotgun, all milspec.

14. 4drviper

4drviper New Member

YESS well i'm waiting about a year to get springfield XM or something,,,(don't recall exact model name)

the new 9mm (optional .45) with 4inch barrell.

felt sooooo good like spiderman shooting spider string(webs? lol) out of his own wrist.

but that's portable sidearm, i just want something in my closet lol.

thanks for the model ##s

15. Mr_1911

Mr_1911 New Member

Rem 1187 I had one, kind of expensive but well worth it.

16. 762

762 Member

not the same, but like the other guy said, why give them a warning noise. ever heard the quote, "the only unfair fight is the one you dont win..."?

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO. you need to do some futher research into the legalities and resposibilities of owning a firearm before even thinking about buying first. first and foremost using a firearm in defensive situation is a last resort, not your first reaction. only way i would ever fire at someone running from me would be a situation where someone life was in dire threat and only if that was the last resort. only time i would ever fire at someone in a vehicle if they were trying to run over me or a loved one. owning a firearm is a right, but a right that carries grave responsibility. firearms are not toys or a fashion statement, they are tools that deserve respect and safe handling and can give a lifetime of enjoyment and protection.

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know you don't want to pump between shots so you want a semi auto--but consider other options;) Stoeger Double Defense

Attached Files:

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's a pretty sexy double. I think I still prefer high polished bluing, walnut, and an engraved action though.

I'd get that, I would just be trying to get something more "traditional" to set next to it too.

20. 4drviper

4drviper New Member

:( I corrected what i originally said in my replies.

sorry for causing the misunderstanding.