I've never seen one of these........

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by winds-of-change, Jan 6, 2013.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I was looking at the Gun Vault site. I have a nice little Gun Vault attached to my bed from that can (barely) hold my 4 pistols. I came across this nice little gun safe. I think it would be great to have this mounted on the wall next to the bed for quick access. It would keep the gun safe from children or from being stolen and what a handy access for that bedside gun. What do you think? I think I am going to get one at some time in the future. Might be good for a car, too, if you can find somewhere to mount it.

http://www.gunvault.com/sv500.html

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Go for it. Looks great.

3. winds-of-change

It'll be a while before I get one. I have to wait until my money situation improves.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like the design. Very interesting. I have a gun vault that is different. But it is a Gun Vault. I have it mounted under the front seat of my Blazer. The one I have is a very strong product.

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The gun vault is a nice little safe and will do a great job of keeping the kids out of your guns while you still have reasonably quick access to your defensive weapon. It is worth it on that account.

The safe will deter the casual burgular, but will not deter a determined thief, who will just rip it off the wall, no matter how you mount it. It that happens, you lose you guns, your safe and have wall repairs to do.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Get the biometric version. Faster and easier access in a critical situation.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Yep. These safes are not for theft deterrent. They are a definitely limited to keeping youngsters out.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

It is kinda large but quite cool.

9. winds-of-change

I already have a bedside Gun Vault. I just thought the design of this one is nice for easy access of your one "go to" gun.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've been using a very similar design for 15 years. The drop open door/holster make access very quick.

Personally I stay away from batter powered safes though, "Murphy and All", mine employed a 4 button mechanical "pharmacy lock". Punch in the code, twist at dial, and it drops open.

Elecronics have become more popular and I've not seen the PRX lock style in quite awhile now somI don't know if there still available but IMHO, mechanical will always be more reliable than electronic.

Good Luck

Tack

11. winds-of-change

12. FAS1

FAS1 Member

I think something to store a handgun in with the intent of keeping your gun out of the hands of children and thieves should be constructed of something better than 18ga steel. I think a thief with a standard size screwdriver could bend it up and pop in open. I know a standard claw hammer will tear it up in a hurry. Your kids won't do that, but how hard is it to get into without damaging it? Most of the electronic ones seem pretty easy to compromise. Again, young children probably won't be able to.

13. danz60

danz60 New Member

Have this same "drop down" speed model as well as night stand box type-both w/the button combo's-stayed away from the biometric models. Been very happy w/them.