I've got the AR-15 bug!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by havasu, Jan 28, 2011.

1. havasu

havasu Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My son, who has (3) AR-15's in various configurations, has offered to build me a Cali approved AR. He has a legal lower and asked me what I wanted for the upper.

I need some advice on who has the best mail order prices, and which upper you prefer. I am left handed, so this will have to be on my list, but what is the best upper for the price. This will be for our upcoming zombie attack, that I will sling up, next to my Glocks in my back pockets.

Thanks for your help!

2. havasu

Thanks! Anyone have more recommendations to get me going on this?

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

What does your son say about it, which brands does he like, what has he built and do you like them? BCM is a great place to go so look at their uppers, especially midlength.

Are you saying you want a left handed upper receiver? If so Stag would be the place to look.

As far as building the lower you've got a huge selection so get the rollmark you like and put in a Stag or equal quality LPK and the stock kit you like best.

I'll pass on the Californication of the evil features, don't know how that goes but a suggestion - move to the Lake Havasu, AZ side of the river! :p

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good info here over the next few days ...

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Nope. RMT has taken care of it. Now all you need to do is decide which one. I personally like the 14.5s w/ perm attached FH/comp. Just make sure you know what you want before you order the perm FH/comp. It would suck to cut up a good muzzle devise because you changed your mind on what rail you wanted to use. Or just go w/ a 16" barrel. Lightweight barrels are nice. If I was to purchase one right now it would be a BCM 14.5" lightweight contoured barrel w/ midlength gas system, tappered plastic OE handguards, pinned PWS or BC 1.5 comp, BCM F/A BCG, and VLTOR IMod stock.

5. havasu

The lower assembly is a Stag. He just wants me to decide whether I want/need a carry handle, and what if any accessories I'm going to mount. From reading other posts, the residual parts you purchase on a whim become wasted space soon after, and I'm just trying to avoid these unnecessary purchases.

6. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Forget the carry handle. Go flat top in my opinion. You can get a detachable carry handle for it later if you want. If you fina an upper that you really like but it isn't an left hand ejection port like the Stag upper that was mentioned earlier, you can always use a brass catcher. It's good range etiquete anyways as you are not throwing hot brass down the shirt of the guy sitting next to you.

I always recommend J and T Distributing. They assemble all their uppers with Doublestar componenets and they have terrific pricing. My 24" bull barrelled upper was shipped to my front door for 504.00 and has been terrific for the last year. You can track down some pics if you like at the end of the AR picture thread.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

We're kinda rehashing things now. Can you zero in more on exactly what you're looking for? I would suggest leaning more toward quality than lowest price. The difference in an upper often is only a hundred bucks or so. Just last week I got a Daniel Defense LW midlength upper configured much like mjkeat described and am very pleased with it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  9. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

I agree with Quentin. and I would have to agree on the stag if you want a left upper. just be careful cause it can get quite expensive i will have almost 2500 in my ar after glass and accessories.

10. havasu

I just went to a large AR speciality gun store, who also recommended to go thru the Stag Catalog, pick what I want (left handed, handle, no handle, fixed sights, etc), THEN check their availability, and if it is in stock, they will ship to their place for no charge. Have to admit folks, I am dizzy. With the options available, It reminds me of jeep and Harley Davidson parts houses! As with Harley Davidson, everything is a Hundred Dollars. Now I understand how a $700 basic AR-15 can climb to well over $2000 in a Las Vegas minute!

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Some guys spend over 2K just on an optic and mount. Not this guy however. Well at least not yet.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well if you go with a left handed upper it does cut down the choices! :p

If you decide on a carry handle, don't pay $100 for a new one. People tend to get rid of them down the road so you see slightly scuffed up milspec CHs for under $50. (But avoid the cheap Chinese knockoffs.) Over the last couple years I've bought five off eBay and averaged $35 a piece including shipping. The worst looking ones I cut down for a BUIS and the best I occasionally drop on for nostalgia. Did I mention that I love carry handles? :D

13. havasu

Just to keep everyone in the loop, I just purchased a Stag "2HTL" upper, since I am left handed. Tomorrow, I'm going shopping for a good optic. Damn, this thing is either going to get me divorced or make me broke, or both! :p

14. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

Nice choice and enjoy your new AR :)

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The left-handed Stag should be fun. Let us know how you like it!

16. havasu

Well, my lower is built, and now waiting for the upper to be shipped in. Damn, I hate this wait!

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Ah, but the anticipation is part of the fun. Soon you will be jonsing for this feeling and starting another build. You're screwed... LOL

JD

18. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

The waiting is the hardest dang part. Getting it all put together is great, and then you'll get to thhe range and have to get the bugs worked out. That part frustrated me a bit, but in the end it all paid off as now I have a rifle that will easily shoot 1/2MOA all day long as long as I am doing my part.

19. havasu

Well, after a few weeks of waiting, she is finally put together and I popped her cherry today with 400 rounds. Sure is a sweet shooting rifle! Now, my big decision is selecting optics. I've seen about 30-40 various types, but my eyes keep being directed towards the ACOG. Damn, they are expensive!

Please, someone out there talk me out of this choice, because even though the wife said, "If you want it, get it", I'm just afraid I am being baited by her. All you married guys know what I am talking about!

Does anyone have any comments or opinions for me, or should I just bite the bullet, pound on my chest a few times, and drop $1500 for the ACOG?