I've been Glocked.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Lindenwood, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I love my new short-barreled, stock-less AK :p (or my Glock 17L if you want to be specific).

Took a short break from work yesterday to pick up my 17L and shoot 88 of my reloads through it (5 mags + 3). Unsurprisingly (but pleasantly so), it fed them all, whereas the Taurus OSS I dumped to get this would occasionally hang up on them due to the bullet design (147gr Truncated cone in HP and lead).

I also ended up filing down the extended slide release some. It is still "extended," but now has a rounded profile and is probably ~1.5mm shorter. I did this because its sharp corners were digging into the palm of my left hand under recoil.

The trigger was not bad at all, and was surprisingly solid for a DA striker pull. Very little "sponginess." Accuracy seems good, as when I was shooting cans at 25 yards, all of my misses were 2-3" high, but not off-center. I presume I am just not yet used to the 6-o'clock hold. But, I've also done about 15-20k trigger pulls with my various DA firearms over the last couple years, so I guess you could say I've had practice with non-SA triggers.

I'll probably update this when I shoot some groups and put another couple hundred rounds through it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm not sure why they built the grip on the top of the gun. But otherwise, congrats on the new toy.

3. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Hmm I have no idea why the pic posted upside-down... I hit submit as I was walking out the door heh.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

5. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Heh I thought somebody would notice that. I removed the barrel and checked it with a flashlight after each mag. The leading was indeed pretty bad, but a dozen passes with a bore brush got pretty much all of it out. So, it would be perfectly fine to just use my lead loads (I still have like 700 of them), though I still might pick up a Lone Wolf barrel. But yeah when I was researching the use of lead bullets the general trend with regular cleaning it isn't a huge deal (at least, among those who actually have experience shooting lead through glock barrels).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ Sounds like the proper precautions. I never liked the unjacketed rounds; i think it may be related to some issues with cheapo .22LR ammo as a young plinker.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Sorry to hear that :(

:p:p:p

8. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

I don't see any problem backing a firearm you trust - 1911 or Glock.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, it's recommended not to use cast lead rounds in a GLOCK, but I think that it really just means you'll have to clean it more often if you do. But... many of the people on this forum clean their guns immediately after firing, or as soon as reasonably possible anyways, so... Why not?

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Long as your not mixing lead and copper between cleanings it isnt a problem. Shooting plain lead in any gun means more frequent cleaningfor the most part.

11. Glore

Glore New Member

Agree totally, I just cleaned a friends Ruger p98. He shot lead cast bullets through it and neglected the weapon with failure to clean. The amount of grayish mush inside would have made anyone who loves guns cry. I'm not sure if it was some grease that was in the gun at some point but I have also seen this on 10/22's. So I'm assuming it's the lead. The barrel was really hard to get clean also, took several passes. Does anyone recommend a stronger cleaner than Hoppes??

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ur camera pixel rate is higher than what the forum settings accept.. Makes them flip when it resizes them