its time!!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by niteglock, Nov 4, 2012.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Okay my fellow forum friends. Its finally time for me to buy a rifle. Should I just buy an AK47 or build an AR15? What's going to be the best bang for buck with reliability and firepower. Which would you guys choose. I love how ak's look but I love the customizability of an AR. And if I do build an ar what would be the very first part to buy? Its gonna take me a while to build it as I only have around 100.00 every two weeks to spend on it. Thanks guys. I need as many people as I could get to answer and help me with this.

Oh yeah. Money IS an issue. And I shoot rifles left handed and pistols right handed. I can't for the life of me shoot a rifle right handed.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my vote is for an AR, more accurate, easy to build. parts are everywhere.

be sure to check the stickies at the top of the AR section. lots of good info.

buy a stripped lower
    buy a LPK
    buy a stock

go to stagarms.com and buy a LEFT handed complete upper.

the great thing about building an AR is you get to choose what parts you buy for it. you can search out the cheapest, and get a budget build, you can pick parts that are of great quality and have a nice custom rifle. or maybe a little of both.

3. niteglock

niteglock New Member

What do I look for in a stripped lower. I'm totally dumb with this so far and ill learn as I go.
    What's an lpk

4. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I have a magpul crt stock already and miad grip so I'm good with that so far.

5. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Ohhh. Should've just Google it. Save the embarrasment.

7. niteglock

niteglock New Member

So back to the lower. What should I look for.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You are in good hands.

LPK is a lower parts kit.

Go with the flow, the guys here are of the "been there, done that" genre. You will NOT go wrong following the provided help.

Build a AR, The AK is so 20 minutes ago!

9. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Thanks Kane. So what do I stay away from in a lower?

10. niteglock

niteglock New Member

That's it??? No one else can comment.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I'd look at these brands.
    PSA
    STAG
    Spikes tactical
    Daniel defense
    BCM

The top three are great quality and generally a cheaper price. The other 2 are a little pricier.
    The stripped lower is the only part that has to go through an FFL and background check. Keep in mind shipping and transfer fees when ordering online. Or go to a local gun shop to see what's on the shelves.

The rest of it can all be sent to your door.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Just pick out the roll mark on the side that you like and come back a to tell us what you picked out before you buy . Not after you buy it !!!!
    There are a few recent lowers that have had issues and Anderson MFG comes to mind . Other than that there all basically the same .
    I wouldnt worry about a left handed upper , My buddy is a lefty and he shoots a righty without any issues . You can get a ambidextrous safety and charging handle and that will work out better for ya . Get the stripped lower thats the part thats going to be a issue when the ban happens

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  13. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

I suggest dont get caught up in the name game of ARS. If you have the money, get a Noveske or similar, but you will pay for it. Mil spec is mil spec, and besides the twist in the barrels, and a little bit of 'customizing and making it their own' like SIG does, mil spec parts will fit on one gun to the next. Many makers even buy blanks that have been made, and stamp their own name on them. Some companies can sell them cheap by not buffing out all the burs etc, in the metal and the finish. While other companies will spend more time on the finish and hand fitting of each part. thats where the prices start to increase. Do some research in this and the other gun forums and look for the pros and cons of the ones that catch your eye. I settled for a Windham Weaponry stock model, because I don't have the tools to make my own, and was new into ARs and didn't want to make one that ended up being a jammer because of something I did wrong or bought a junk part.
    Comparing it side by side to a colt, the finish and fit was better than the Colt, and Colts are supposed to be one of the better companies making these. If I had to do it all over again, i would buy the exact brand again and not think about it. All my other guns i own were built by other people in factories and they still can put a smile on my face.

And +1 on what Purehavoc just said

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The AR is far more simple to clean and work on than the AK basically tool less, you will need tools to tear down the AK . AR is more accurate at further distances beyond 200 yards . Yes a AK round has more knockdown power but for a SHTF gun you just want something that will punch holes and let the rest run out . Both rounds will make anything bleed so no worries there :D . AR ammo can be found on most any shelf .223/ 5.56 , both run about the same price 7.62X39 and .223 ammo . a 1:9 barrel will basically run anything you put down it without issues . a 1:7 is picky on anything lower than 55gr and not as accurate . There are so many to choose from and parts to choose from it will literally make your head spin . I suggest PSA you get alot for your money , I own 3 different brands of rifles and they have all function flawless. 3 of those are PSAs and the cheapest of all 5 I own . Great rifle for the money but there shipping it really terrible slow right now . Everyones ordering from them because their cheap and of course it floods their shipping dept. If I order something from them I dont expect to see it for a couple weeks at the minimum . If you have to have it soon order it else where .

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  15. niteglock

niteglock New Member

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

yeah looks good to me. sucks they wont make it without the lug for NY.. stinks