It's this gun worth it

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by akers06, Feb 16, 2013.

1. akers06

akers06 New Member

Is this gun worth $115 It is a made in Brazil single shot 410 for my six year old little boy

ForumRunner_20130216_233709.jpg

2. tCan

tCan Active Member

Maybe $75-90

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

^ what he said. That's the actual value depending on condition (your pic isn't exactly appraiser quality).

It's a fine buy at $115, if that's what it's WORTH TO YOU, to get your son into shotgunning.

Real value is what someone's willing to pay. I would offer $80 and see where it goes from there.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I never had one, but I remember shooting plenty of other peoples' guns like that when I was a kid, and the recoil was rather vicious. I was really pleasantly surprised the first time I shot a 20 gauge pump - it did have a recoil pad - and found that although it went boom instead of bang, the recoil was not as bad. I don't know what you are planning - six is real young - but you might also look a how some of those Speer pistol shot cartridges do out of a 22 or 22 Mag rifle. I know the 357 and 44 pistol versions work pretty darned well as I have shot a bunch of those, but no experience with the smaller ones. Good luck.

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

I was 5 when I started shooting a 4 10 so I think he will be fine there....and I haven't been able to find a single shot 410 around here for under $150....I am going to have to cut the stock of on it for him which I don't care to do......the guy wanted 165 for it and I got him down to 115 it has a few small places in the wood but overall it is in part decent shape

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

YES, you can`t buy a new one for that..............

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Same thought^^^^^

8. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I would go for it, the memories and the look on your son's face when he gets to go shooting or hunting with dad will far out weigh the up front cost, and he will be able to keep it and hand it down to his kids someday!

9. akers06

akers06 New Member

I'm going to go ahead and get it...he is going to have to wait till Easter to have it though lol

10. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Post pictures when you give it to him, I bet he will be grinning ear to ear! I can't wait to give my little one their first gun!

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

Will do...I'm excited to give it to him....he already loves shooting his bb gun and bow so I'm sure he will go nuts when he sees it lol

12. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That is a good deal if it's in good shape. I sold the first gun my dad gave me about 3 months ago, a New England Arms .410 single shot. I sold it for $150. New, that's roughly what they had cost. Mine was in excellent shape though, and had only been fired 3 times in the last 15 years.

13. longunner

longunner New Member

You should hide it in an egg for him :D

14. akers06

akers06 New Member

Haha that would be a big ol egg

15. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I think you did well on price. I just last month sold the .410 my dad gave me when I was 10. It was a New England Arms single shot. I listed it for $150 and sold it for $150. You can't really buy a good new one for that price anymore.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  16. akers06

akers06 New Member

I know they are getting high and hard to find

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Don't let him shoot the Easter bunny.

And a couple of you posted you sold your gun you got as a child. Do you not get seller's remorse? I wouldn't be able to sell a child hood memory like that.

18. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The first shotgun I ever had was an old Mossberg bolt action in .410 that I was given to me by my Dad when we lived on the farm in Michigan when I was a kid. My Dad sawed the stock off to fit me and attached a fabricated plexiglas butt plate. I did kill a few squirrels with it and my Dad claimed I was the one who killed a pheasant that we both shot at, but I am not so sure that he actually killed it and gave me the credit.
    But now I wonder if a .410 is a good idea as a kid's starter shotgun. It is difficult to hit with, not because of the size of the pattern (the pattern is as wide as a 12 gauge), but the pattern is so sparse with big gapping holes that hitting a game bird or animal with enough pellets to make a clean kill is difficult even for an experienced shot, much less a child. Better to give the kid a 20 gauge with light loads or better yet, a 28 gauge if one can be found reasonably.
    ct

19. akers06

akers06 New Member

The only reason a 410 should have that big of a spread is a open choke if it has a full choke it should have a nice fairly tight even pattern.....

20. cottontop

cottontop Guest

You would think so, but that is a myth. A .410 will not hold a tight pattern no matter what the choke. Here is why, and I did not make it up. This concept is explored extensively in the book by the late Bob Brister, "Shotgunning, the Art and the Science." The shot column in the 410 is very long. As a result, many of the shot pellets are deformed as they scrub down the barrel. When these deformed pellets leave the muzzle, they scatter big time, even from a full choke.
    ct