It's pretty tough to embarrass Fiat/Peugeot

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Jul 16, 2020.

1. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

but it seems that even the company that produces two of the historically worst vehicles in history is ashamed to be associated Chrysler Dodge Jeep!
    download (8).jpeg 2019-charger-gallery-wb1.jpg.image.1440.jpg
    They're changing the Chrysler corporate name to STELLANTIS in hopes that people will soon forget what they're buying and believe they're getting something new and hopefully reliable.:eek::D

Mercator, towboater and ellis36 like this.
  2. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Corporate name is not necessarily brand name. I’d be surprised if the axed the Chrysler brand, and Jeep is gold if it makes wheelchairs, it just is.

I had a 300C for almost 3 years, nothing but good. (It was Daimler then, Mercedes major components)

schnuffleupagus and bluez like this.

3. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Did you know that FIAT stands for :
    F ix
    I t
    A gain
    T ony

schnuffleupagus and ellis36 like this.
  4. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Like Lotus - Lots of Trouble, Usually Serious.

schnuffleupagus and ellis36 like this.
  5. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

don't forget Joe Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

G66enigma likes this.
  6. Mercator

I never understood how Fiat sells here. The name not glorious, the car small and ugly, the engine is it 3 cylinder? Human heart is a mystery.

7. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Once experienced, that's hard to forget. BTDT.

What an awful motto for an electrical products company. But it was well-earned, by all accounts.

Don't see many '70s Jaguars around, here in the U.S. It's probably been 30 years since I last saw one. I figured the Lucas finally got 'em. It would cost a small fortune to retrofit all the wiring and all electrics into one of those things. E-type owners must either grit their teeth or have a model that is missing the Lucas benefits, since little else could explain the extraordinary monetary value those things have these days.

jigs-n-fixture likes this.
  8. Mercator

Ask someone what Pontiac stood for :D

Fred_G and schnuffleupagus like this.
  9. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Fair description.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Found On Road Dead
    Fix Or Repair Daily
    Ford bought Jaguar and Land Rover in 2000 and sold them in 2008. Ford got rid of the Lucas components.
    British cars dont leak, they mark their territory.

11. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Well that's a nice way to put it.

Had a Triumph and an MGB that both marked their territories. In 10w40 commonly; in coolant-with-oil, if unlucky.

ellis36 likes this.
  12. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

You probably got rid of it before it all started going wrong.

I've had my 2010 Charger SXT for 8 years. In that time: the headliner has come loose, CD player randomly won't work, exterior door mouldings have fallen off, i had 8 wires in the door harness break from opening & closing the door, clear coat is peeling off the spoiler, the water pump went bad, & i had to replace driver & passenger side rocker arm assemblies.......all of this happened at 85,000 miles or less, in addition to 2 seperate air bag recalls. Also, all this happened when that company known for "fine German engineering" was supposed to be overseeing production.

In regards to the rocker arm assemblies, the vast majority of the 3.5 v6's in the 300, Magnum, Challenger, & Charger have had the same issue. Chrysler's solution? Not to recall the cars, but issue a service bulletin to replace the bad part with a "new & improved" part when the cars come in for repair.....which was usually right after the warranty expired.

alsaqr, ellis36 and towboater like this.
  13. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Most dodges look great. (for a little while) But thats about it .

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

And I guess their hemi is ok.

Mercator likes this.
  15. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had three Dodge experiences. My FIL worked on the line at Chrysler St. Louis, he didn't warm up to the 300ZX I was in the first time he met me. He set me up with a "green sheet", an employee's discount. I bought a 1996 Indianapolis edition Dodge Ram, absolutely gorgeous truck. The 360 was fast and sounded great but It got about 12 mpg, premium to boot. It was reliable and head turning. Sold it when gas went nuts and it's still on the road with 242,000 on the original motor. The interior is awful but it still runs. My first Dodge was a 71 340 Demon, couldn't keep an alternator in it. My last Dodge was a used 96 Intrepid loaded to the max. Plenty of room but had computer demons. Couldn't sell it fast enough. Keep your Mopars, I'll stick with Ford or Chevy.

towboater, primer1 and ellis36 like this.
  16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

putting together two piles of brown stuff, doesn't make it a rose.

towboater likes this.
  17. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Has anybody here actually GOT a British-built car?

18. boatme98

Do they actually build one? :D

I've had 2. The 69 MGB and a 96 Silver Spur III which was actually the 4th series but there was something wierd about Silver Spur IV that was offensive to someone so they didn't change the name with the final series.

towboater likes this.
  19. boatme98

Apparently IV is a homonym for death in some some far eastern cultures, and Rolls was selling a lot of cars in the east at the time.
    I guess Silver Spur Death is considered bad form, old boy.
    download (9).jpeg

towboater likes this.
  20. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

They still build a few.
    1280px-McLaren_P1.jpg

towboater and boatme98 like this.