It's here! My Ruger GP100 6" barrel.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rsfrid, Oct 22, 2011.

1. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

Ruger GP100 6" barrel

Looking forward to some fun. I'm trying rounds from bulkammo.com (reloads) 38 special 158gr fmj. About $32 for 100 rounds.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's real nice. What the heck is the padlock for? the plastic case?

3. russ

russ New Member

Open cylinder, insert lock. Gun is now a hammer. :p

Real nice purchase. I have the exact same one and couldn't be happier.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Rubber coating it looks like... makes sense I guess, for legal junk. I'd end up putting on my tool box though.

5. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

You are going to love this gun. I have a SS 4" GP-100 and its Grandfather, Security Six SS 4". I shoot both regularly. They are two of the most fun guns I own.

6. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Ruger GP100 6" barrel

I had the very same gun only blued..great gun, shoots the wings off of flies at 25 yards! I say had because like a fool I sold it. But I will have another one day. You will love it, and of you reload, you can create some nice accurate loadings for it for paper and hunting if you decide to use it for that purpose. Enjoy!!!

7. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

Yes I plan to reload (.38 spcl) for paper and could use some recommendations as to starting bullets, powder, primers.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I hope you enjoy your GP100 as much as i have enjoyed mine. Mine is also the 6", only blued rather than stainless. You might as well reload; it doesn't scatter the brass like a semiauto.

I used mine on my footlocker.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I asked about the padlock because I ended up putting one on a plastic case (by someone elses recommendation). I later lost the key, so had to saw around the lock with a hacksaw blade. It took me about a minute and a half to break into my own case :)

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice wheel gun!

Enjoy

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Take a look here:

.38 Special 158gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter 100pk

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have that guns twin sister. I dressed her all up with new grips and a scope. You're really going to like your GP100. Have fun with it and post a range report.

13. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I just order 200 rounds from GA.

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That is an awesome wheel gun! I've got one just like it and I couldn't be happier.

15. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

I've got one with the 4" barrel. Feels and shoots really nice in my hands.

16. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Some loading suggestions

My first suggestion is to find what factory ammo your gun likes. Usually 158 grain bullets are what is used to sight in the gun at the factory. Most generally you can find a good factory loaded JHP that will serve for home protection and for close range handgun hunting. My requirements, say for deer hunting, is to first find a hunting load my gun likes. I then shoot at an 8 inch plate, starting at about 25 yards. Shoot one handed and try to keep all rounds within the 8 inch plate. When I could do that consistently, then I know I could shoot a deer at that distance and know I would hit it. Then I would move the plate back, 5 or ten feet at a time and would shoot with both hands, ensuring that all my shots stayed on the 8 inch plate, maximum distance about 50 yards. I would next move the plate back to about 75 yards and shoot in a sitting position, and practicing until I could keep all of my rounds on the 8 inch plate. Bear in mind that all of my loads were for 100 yard maximum range, .357 hunting handgun loads. You can find many places on line to obtain great loading suggestions. You can go here and scroll down part way for some good suggestions to start out with:My Friend the 357
    Good luck and have fun.

17. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Very good looking pistol. I can't wait to get a gp100 myself. Can we look forward to a range report in the future?

18. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

nice gun i love mine
    just got mine