It's hard to feed my 30-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TheHunter100, Aug 25, 2012.

1. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

I have a marlin 30-30 and everytime I load it, and I'm pushing the bullet in I have to kinda force it and it hurts the tip of my fingers. I even tried oiling it up when I was cleaning it it helped a little, but still pretty much the same.

Any suggestions?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Keep using it. Your fingers will toughen and it will loosen. I wouldn't recommend trying to alter it or you could end up with feed issues. Most people say its hard to feed because of the price of ammo. Lol

3. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Ok thanks for the tip, its probably because its pretty much a new gun.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Great gun. Mine was a tack driver.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

It will loosen up a bit with use, and your technique will improve with practice.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the spings and loading gate are pretty tight when new. they will become much better with more shooting and time.

7. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

So, about how for it to break in.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple of hundred rounds.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I have the same basic problem. But for me it only hurts during that last couple of centimeters. What I do, instead, is push the cartridge as far as comfortable, then use the next one to push the previous cartridge all the way in. Then, I only have to push really hard on the last round (#6).

10. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

My 336 is circa 1960's so it has been pretty much broken in. Although it does require some pressure on the cartridge to load through the gate it is not uncomfortable. Yours should break in over time. I am about to order Skinner sights for mine that will make this incredible shooter even more accurate.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i have a marlin 1895 gbl in 45-70 i bought earlier in the year and it was really tough to load. a couple hundred rounds later and just some loading and unloading with dummy rounds has really loosened it up a lot. its getting easier to load as it gets used.

12. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

I Do the same thing

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm sorry guys....I even deleted a post....Guys, grow a pair. I've loaded my 336, my buddy's 94 and come on they are not that hard to load. Yes, they may get a little stiff when towards the end of the tube but to the point you can't load them?? If your thumb hurts so badly that you can't continue after loading 6 or 7 rounds...it's time to turn in your man card.

14. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Man card check

image-1397021284.jpg

15. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

i own a 336 thats almost as old as my father and still hasnt had two boxes of shells shot out of it so its still as stiff as the day it was bought so i know what you guys are talking about aannnnnndddd.........................I wasnt gonna say anything but spittinfire is right if u cant deal with that little bit of pain loading your gun idk what to tell u besides get a single shot rifle and try not to atleast look manly and not shoot like women

16. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Please, I'm the manliest man here I play highschool football. And I can take the pain. I was just wondering if there was a way to fix it. Might as well not have it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  17. sierram37

sierram37 New Member

My new marking also requires manly skills to load. Always assumed it would break in and become a bit easier but didn't ask the question so as not to risk confiscation of my Man card.

18. sierram37

sierram37 New Member

19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I suggest this item to EVERYONE who shoots...it makes all the difference in the world if used daily...
    It gives one exceptional finger strength in a few minutes a day, use it while watching American Guns/Sportsman Channel shows ;)
    http://www.awma.com/productdetail/1595-eagle-catcher.html

NOTE: Use your Index finger, pulling with the tip for raising your trigger finger strength...
    makes a 5# trigger feel like a 2.5# after a few weeks :)

I get a giggle when folks complain about 7.5 pound rifle being heavy...heck, 50 pound suitcases ain't heavy...if you are strong!!
    If your body is strong, your mind is strong (as long as you don't use steroids...melt yer brain...LOL),
    & being able to rip a car door off its hinges can be a valuable resource ;)

For that matter, get a practice sword and swing it for 30 minutes a day...you'll build muscles you never knew you had!!
    Plus it'll come in handy for the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse...cardio, cardio, cardio...
    kinda funny to get into a swordfight and find out that the other guy is worn out after a minute...SCA!!

The average person when in a fight, wears out fast...if you can build some muscle, do yer cardio, and practice SOMETHING every day...
    you tend to last longer...and in a fight, that can make all the difference in the world!!

TO apply strength to shooting applications, you can hold steadier, shoot longer, be more precise, maintain a lower heart rate,
    and carry more stuff than the average schmuck...its why the Army puts such high emphasis on Physical Activity!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  20. dabbson

dabbson New Member

The same thing here I think it's just because it's new