It's Finally Finished-I Think!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Txhillbilly, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I bought a Savage 110FLP in 300 WinMag last year for a song. Finding one in 300WM is hard enough,but a lefty is almost impossible. Anyway it only had a box of ammo shot out of it. The man I got it from had bought it for his son(A U.S.Marine) not knowing that his son wanted a 308,and after his son came home on leave and shot it,he didn't like the recoil of the 300WM and asked his dad to sell it. It was box stock with a cheap Bushnell scope on it when I bought it.I shot it several times but the scope was crap,and the stock would punish you every shot.What rocket scientist engineer thinks up these cheap,unstable,bendable stocks.
    Here are the changes I made-
    Choate Ultimate Varmiter Stock
    Trigger Job
    Weaver Bases
    Mueller Eraticator 8x25x50 Scope
    Burris Signature Zee Rings
    6"-9" Bipod

I hope I can get to the range next week and try it out and see some major improvements.I've worked up a bunch of different loads to try out and see just what it likes.
    Now the scope looks like it is setting on the barrel,but there is about a 1/16" clearance between them,it is just the angle of the photo.

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      95.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      82.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I didn't know you were a SouthPaw there Tx - That's a good looking stick. Is that a full 26" barrel? That stock makes it look a bit shorter. 300WM is a fast, flat shooting SOB. You should be dropping rounds in the "X" ring with no problems.

Well done sir, well done...

Now, WHERE'S MY RANGE REPORT?!?!?

JD

3. Txhillbilly

J.D.,I'm not a true Southpaw,it's the eye dominant thing. Most of my bolt guns are righties,but when I find a lefty for a good price I'll grab it. I like the 300WM,and also have one in a Ruger #1 that I elk hunt with,but it has a brake on it,so recoils not an issue.
    I've worked up several loads to try out with 165&180gr hunting loads,and 168gr match loads.I'll just find out what it is going to like the best and go from there,but as you know these guns are shooters.

4. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Nice! Can't wait to read the range report. How much you have into it?

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. :D

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

That is a very nice rifle. What is your intended use for it? Hunting or just target?

You could take some zombies down from quite a distance with that.

7. Txhillbilly

Thanks guys,I guess I have about a $1k in it,and I do intend on hunting with it,but I did fill the stock with shot,so she ain't lite.So I doubt I would like carrying it very far,but it can loose about 3lbs by taking loose 4 screws.That's what I like about the Choate stock.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'd like to see a range report as well. Pick of the targets, distance, load, etc. Post it in the "Range Report" area. :D

9. Gene L

Gene L New Member

I had one of those stocks on a Savage, back before Choatehad one specifically fitted for a Savage. They used a Rem 700 pattern, and the tang wouldn't quite set down flush at the rear. . It was called a "Plaster Ultimate Sniper" stock, or something like that. It looks similar except for the color.

It was a good stock, stable and helped the rifle shoot (also in .300 WM.) I finally sold it because I couldn't get down on the cheek weld because my face isn't shaped for that.

The 110 shot 1/2" groups occasionally and 3/4" groups fairly regularly if I did my job. And with a Tasco World Class (Japan made) scope. I had a J-B recoil eliminator that did, indeed, knock down recoil but split the ears of everyone in the neighborhood.

Very good rifle, very good round, and a great stock if you can get down on it.