It's down to 2. s&w sd9 or ruger p95

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rem870forever, Jul 28, 2012.

1. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

my last 2 choices for a handgun in 9mm. either the 16rd s&w sd9 or 15rd ruger p95. I'll be using the gun for target shooting up to about 40yd maybe shoot varmints and mainly self defense purposes.

2. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

Im a fan of both... Lean towards the smith sd9.. Fyi.. 120ft is a hell of target range for a handgun! Im trying to keep it on paper at 50 feet!!

3. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

ik but ima good long range shot

4. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

common i need more peoples help

5. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

Have you read online reviews of each gun?
    Ive never handled the SD9 but reviews go either way. I hear it has a long and heavy trigger pull which I personally don't like. I held and fired the p95 and it was too chunky in my hand. Have you tried the SR9 by Ruger? I shot the SR9 and loved it. Ended up going with the SR9c. Absolutely love this gun. Very comfortable to shoot and easy to carry with the 10rd mag or extend it for range use to the included 17rd mag. And Ruger has excellent customer service. So, I'd recommend an SR9 which is in the price range of those guns you are looking at.

6. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

So a person who does not own a hand gun thinks he is going to be a good shot out to 120 feet with a pistol? And with pretty cheap guns that are really not accurate past 25 yards....come on man be realistic. I'm not going to claim to be a better shooter than you or anyone I have never met, but I have been shooting since I was 8 (that makes 30 years, damn I'm getting old). I own a P95 and it is not an easy gun to keep on paper at 25 yards, it was never made for that and is really not a good choice for varmints (you might consider a .22LR semi auto rifle for that). Now at reasonable self defense distances of 10 yards or so it does very well. The issue that a lot of people have is the grip and the DA first pull. It does feel a bit chunky in the hand and I do not like the grip texture, so I added a slip on Hogue grip. I like it well enough, I bought it awhile ago because I wanted cheap 9mm to burn ammo with and for something to keep at my shop, that said it gets shot the least of any gun I own

7. Jeff290

Jeff290 New Member

I own a P95 and really like the way if feels, even though I have smaller than average hands. That "chunky" feel seems to give me a lot to hold onto. Yes, the double action first pull is a little long but not terrible. Follow-up single action trigger is nice. If price point is a factor as it was with me, you can get the the P95 for around $300. Just my 2 cents...

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I can not speak about the S&W as I have not shot one. I do own a P95. I dont shoot it much simply because I like bigger calibers. It is not a competition gun. But it always goes bang when I pull the trigger. For the money Ruger is pretty hard to beat. That is my opinion anyway.

9. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

The sd9 breaks down and goes back together in like 25 seconds. The Ruger does not. 40 yards? LOL
    you can shoot at 40 yards if The target is a car! Or a bus

10. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'd go with S&W. Not a huge fan of Ruger in general, but not as a rule. They are tough to take down, the S&W is far easier to maintain.

12. Cshooter

Cshooter Member

If it were me, I would go with the s&w as well. In fact, had I not bought an xd9 2 weeks before the new version of the smith came out, I would own one today.

13. Glock17owner

Glock17owner New Member

Umm this is a good one 95 or sd9. Well if it was me I would get the sd9. I think its better molded to the hand for the hand. But 95 are tanks. Well atleast the p89 was solid. Get the one that make you happy

14. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I hate to ask this but why not just get the S&W M&P in 9mm.

I just bought my son the full size for $462

I still don't think you will be shooting cans at 120ft but at least the trigger will not be the issue.

15. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

The M&P would be the superior choice.. I love them... But they cost $140 more then the SD9... For the money the SD9 is a great shooting HD and target gun

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I have the SD40VE in my shop and it's nice. IMO I would take the SD9 over the P95 by a slim margin.

17. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Wait...
    Your telling me that you found a brand new S&W SD9 for $322.00

Tell me where, so I can order a couple..

18. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I just sold a SD40 for $325

19. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

Yup... The cheapest I have seen is $320... Great bargains!

20. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

Silverado Im gonna PM You next time im shopping for a new toy. You always seem to have solid prices.. Do you ship??