Its almost Spring again

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by string1946, Mar 11, 2014.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

Yep. Just a little over a week away. A lot of the trees are blooming and the daffodils have been doing their thing for around 2 weeks. Usually before the end of March I will see the first hummingbirds to show up. But this time of year also has a dark side. Its called Carpenter Bees. I live in a log house and those sucker really do love drilling holes in the porch rails and eves of the house and porch ceilings. I have a couple of Carpenter Bee traps that work pretty well (pictures included) but my main defense is hand to bee combat. In the pass I have kept a tennis racket on each of the porches and its not unusual for me to launch 25 or 30 bees a day. This year I'm going to try a racket ball racket. Its a little shorter and should reduce my lock time. I think I will keep my eyes pealed at the flea markets for a couple of badminton rackets too. Light should be faster and better and they have a tighter weave so the bee heads shouldn't get stuck as much. I have tried shot cartriges in my Ruger Single Six but thats pretty iffy. Oh and if I catch one going in a hole I stick a golf tee up his butt and caulks over it. Wish me luck and if your in the area in the next two months, stop by and grab a racket. Remember, black faced bumble bee.... good. White faced bumble bee.... bad. Ok I got to go to the front porch.

Ok the battle is joined and I just scored my first kill of the year.

Attached Files:

2. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

Getting 6 inches of snow tomorrow, what about spring ? :(

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've done the " Carpenter Bee tennis racquet" thing a time

or two, before.

They don't take well to pyrethyrine, either.

4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Same here if I'm lucky!

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

78 degrees outside right now. Been thinking about putting on the A/C. Supposed to cool down to 71 tomorrow with 50% chance of rain.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't get it. I was riding the motorcycle last night. And it was snowing a few minutes ago when I came out of the gym!

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

Its that global warming thing. When I was stationed at Denver we had 6" in may.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago it snowed here on the 4th of July.

9. bigjim

bigjim New Member

8 inches of snow forecast for tonight, spring, what is spring?? (LOL)

Jim

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  10. orangello

orangello New Member

Drove convertible all weekend, but it rained today.

What about some small-caliber flame-throwing for the bees? It might be fun...of course, your house is made of wood.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That would include where I live. :(

12. orangello

orangello New Member

[wonders if all the anti-firearms laws in IL could be related to avalanche prevention...]

13. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I was sitting on the back steps a minute ago watching bats fly around as the sun was going down - it was so nice. It's suppose to turn cold for the next couple of days but it's almost spring. I figure one more week and I'll be able to set out some plants in the garden! Then again our biggest snows have come in March and April, but I don't see that happening this year. :)

14. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Been 82F here all day, cold front moving through and gonna be 30's again as a low and not get above 50F tomorrow, been nice outside ALL day, windows open in the house with a breeze coming through, finally being able to Wrench on my truck. There is a hope spring is coming!!

15. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Albuquerque will be in the low 50's; however, add the wind factor 10 to 20 mph. Temp's will be cooler and dry.

Only rain is when my dogs are watering the rocks outside!

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

We never had any winter. No rain either. The trees and flowers are all confused and have been blooming since January.

17. Shade

Shade New Member

It was in the 50's 2 days ago, supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow tonight
    52 is the projected high on Friday... The Midwest you never get bored from
    the weather...:rolleyes:

18. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I hate them with a Passion! I used to flame em with a fireplace Tourch with the flame about 2 Ft. Long??

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

19. string1946

string1946 New Member

Oh that sounds like fun but not sure its wise with a log home.

20. Shade

Shade New Member

If the nest is in a building I use non-flammable brakes parts cleaner, kills the
    whole nest. If they are in the ground (most common around here) I mark the
    nest; and then come back at night, they all come home at night. 25% gas
    and 75% diesel pour it in the hole and torch it. They come out on fire and
    looks like a Roman candle!