Ithaca

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by deathkricket, Oct 23, 2013.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

So i'm looking into getting a Ithaca, Now I can say this is probably the only marketed shot gun I have not handled. Any one have any experiences with them and if so how are they. How does the bottom eject work for any of you who have them, like it? hate it?

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Depends. Many lefties like bottom eject. I found it awkward, because the shells drop at your feet, and then you kick them around while shooting clays and such. Or you need to adjust by tilting the gun before cycling. The action is the smoothest with the least amount of rattle I have seen in any pump. The barreled action is one piece, so you can't take the barrel off for cleaning or replacement. It is more refined than the Browning BPS.

3. spack762

spack762 New Member

I had one a few years back. It came to me used. Mine had a little bit of trouble feeding the 2nd and 3rd round. Im sure it just needed a tune up. I liked it a lot. I would get another.

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I would love to have one of these: an Ithaca "Road Blocker" 10 gauge semi-automatic shotgun.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Speaking of Ithaca....I heard from a friend of mine yesterday that Ithaca is going to start making guns again. Not sure if it was the truth or just hearsay. Anybody know...btw not tryin to hijack the thread.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I believe Ithaca has jumped into the high end 1911 market.

http://ithacagun.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1615

Not sure when it began, but Ithaca is building or has built a new facility in South Carolina.

http://www.ithacagun.com/

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It has been doing it for a few years now. I think in Ohio. It is the "new" Ithaca, but they seem to be committed to restoring the name brand. They carry on with Model 37 and some others. Their 1911 is supposed to be "upper middle class". I have not handled it.

8. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Not sure I like that.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Seems to me also like a solution in search of a problem. They say it is the strongest assembly ever. Maybe means something to some hot loaders, I am not sure.

10. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

they kick like mules.
    the semi's broke like volkswagens.

11. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

So then that's a plus one to Mossberg for using a bolt to barrel lock up?

12. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

And you good Sir, How dare you talk about Volkswagen's :eek:

13. bobski

i owned and worked on them when i was young and ignorant. then i woke up and realized if i wanted to have a life, i needed to get off my back under one on weekends, and find a wife.
    then i started making a living towing my friends with vw's. im a wealthy man today.:D
    btw, ithaca semis were prone to cracking action rods. it plauged the semis for decades. poor design, poor materials.

14. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

A friend of mine had an Ithaca Mod. 37 Featherweight 20 ga. when we were teens & in our 20's, every once in a while I'd borrow it for squirrel &/or grouse hunting. All I had was a 12 ga. back then.

That little 20 ga. was a dream to shoot and cycled flawlessly, if I could find one in good condition today, at a reasonable price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

In theory maybe.

The new Ithaca has MSRP about $700+. It's a different company. I was referring to the new Ithaca. They have a catalog on the website.

16. txpossum

txpossum New Member

You have shattered my dream.

17. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I can think of a better way to spend $700

I know right, bashing on Nazi sleds like that :)

18. bobski

ithaca pumps and semis use to be utility guns.
    for some new reason, people have raised them to worship level of sousa grade trap guns..
    when we talk quality, i think grade 3/4/5 sbs and trap guns, not pumps.
    simple yes. reliable, yes.
    but personally i dont like having to load everything in the mag tube to get one in the chamber on 37/87's.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  19. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Another good point, after hearing all your comments (even the Nazi sled hater :)) and checking them out for myself they don't sound like the shotgun for me. Thank all of ya'll for the informative input, I learned a few new things about them.