Ithaca / SKB model 500 problems

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by rudy, May 27, 2014.

1. rudy

rudy New Member

I posted this over on the General shotgun area. Long story short my wife's cousin inherited this gun after his dad passed away a couple of years ago. The gun had not been shot for 20 to 25 years. He thoroughly cleaned gun and brought it to a family get together where we did a little trap shooting. The gun worked fine for a little while then would break open. I finally figured out it only broke open when the top barrel is fired. The action locks tight with no movement. I can see some wear on the locking bar and lugs on the barrel. But since it locks up tight I'm a little confused as to what's causing this. From a quick glance at breakdown of the gun there is a pin type device that activates the locking mechanism when closing the action. I'm wondering if the spring is weak or if this has anything to do with the problem. I got a couple of responses from the general shotgun section but I'm looking for more help. I need to measure the locking bar and lugs and compare to the original specification to see how much wear I have. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you help.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk