Ithaca mod 37 featherlight tube question.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by xcoreyyyx, Jun 16, 2012.

1. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Here is the spring to my ithaca model 37 featherlight tube. They say that I shouldn't bend the spring or stretch it but both ends are coiled so there is no real way to get the 3 shot plug out without bending or stretching it. Any suggestions? Should I just stretch it some and bend it to where I can get the plug out or is there another way? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"bend it to where I can get the plug out"
    Yes, near one of the ends. When done if the spring looks bent, just bend it a little to straighten it.

3. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Ok, so I got the plug out of the spring now when I rack the gun, it won't fire. I messed with it for a few minutes and it seems to be if I press the action just slightly, it sounds like a spring is being released and it lets me pull the trigger and the gun goes off. Any ideas?

4. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Took the barrel back off and racked it a few times all with successful trigger pull with the firing pin coming forward. It is like something isn't sitting right after I have removed the plug while the barrel is on. Any ideas?

5. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

After putting the barrel on and taking it back off, I have realized that when the barrel is on, the forearm doesn't slide fully forward like it does when the barrel is off of it.

6. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I solved it. Something just wasn't sitting right. Took it apart a last time and made sure everything was lining up correctly. Everything is good now.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Looks like you worked all day at that!
    Glad to see it worked out for you. Just like the rest of us, you learn as you go.

8. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Yessir, I don't give up on trying to fix things. I usually keep going till I can solve it even if it takes hours and hours. I am learning about things slowly but surely. Thanks for checking back in though.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Good -- whew. Pic of gun?

10. fmj

fmj Active Member

Glad to read you figured it out...

as a fellow Ithica 37 lover...(have 2 in the safe)

yes, lets see this 37...old? new? details man, DETAILS!!

11. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Its a pretty clean looking gun. I took it out on Wednesday and it is quite fun to shoot. It has the slamfire feature which I played around with quite a bit ans wasted quite a few shells just screwing around with it on absolutely nothing. Fun little gun.

Attached Files:

12. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

^^
    They are quite fun to shoot. I was just loving the slamfire on it. Refer to last post for pictures.

13. fmj

fmj Active Member

thanks!!

That is a very clean looking looking 37..it must be a new(er) one judging by the serial number. But its not one of the reissue pieces of crap as its a slam fire.

They quit making them some years back...then they started re-issuing the 37 again a couple years ago but not slam fire style.

14. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

^^
    Do you have slamfire on yours? If not then you are missing out so much. I got so carried away with it. I am going to have to pick up more with slamfire even though it is quite a waste of shells but oh well. I will spare a few just for the fun of it. It is quite clean but the tube is alittle scratched up under the forearm but is only visible when the forearm is slid back. Oh well its very clean otherwise.

15. fmj

fmj Active Member

Yep...one is low 6 digit serial number the other is low 5 digit. One was made in 1946 the other in 1948. Both are VERY well used (loved) and show it....they have killed MANY a pheasant, rabbit and partridge.

Might get some pics and post up later.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  16. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

^^
    Yeah, those would be nice to see if you get the chance.

17. fmj

fmj Active Member

here you go corey...

The 1948 model
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the 1946 model....(my dad in his infinite wisdom decided to redo the stock and foregrip :confused:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I like them. I don't like the gloss look of the redone stock but I do like the actual wood. Is that one of the choke attachments on the second one? I was thinking about ordering one but I didn't know if it was all that worth it.

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Nice arm, and the poly-chokes are great IMO. I don't blame Dad for re-doing the stock on that BTW -- that's some wood! Unlike...

Attached Files:

20. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I would love to redo mine. also, on both of yours, is there a small grippad practically under where a pistol grip would be? Like if you cut most of your back stock off is there a pad that would sit under the end of that? Because it looks like mine may have had a pad but there isnt one there now? If you need pictures let me know. There is like some number where it looks like the pad should sit.