Ithaca M1911A1 Help

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Jimf, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Jimf

Jimf New Member

I have a chance to purchase this 1911, but I'm not very familiar with older weapons. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    -Jim

Attached Files:

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Whats the asking price?

3. Jimf

Jimf New Member

The seller has asked that I make an offer, It's been sitting in his basement for years and neither of us know its value,

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Ooooh, hard one-----------
    Offer him $500 & call me if he'll take it :)

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It looks like this Ithaca was built in early 1944.

7. Jimf

Jimf New Member

The inside looks good, I striped it in order to clean.
    I'm going to the range later today.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Seriously offer $500 - Fair to both parties BUT it wud bring more out there advertised in the open market-

9. sirhc

sirhc New Member

I would love to have that. I didn't know Ithaca made a 1911. Actually I didn't know they made any pistols. My dad and I have had plenty of Ithaca rifles and shotguns. We lived down the road from Ithaca.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nice looking. i would buy it simply because it's an Ithaca. the production numbers during WWII were equal to Colt. Remington-Rand had the highest production during the war and Union Switch & Signal and then Singer with the lowest production.

it does look to be in very good shape looking at the pictures. personally i would take a chance on it if it was me. i'd buy it even if it didn't work!

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That would be a good argument to convince the seller to lower the price. Everyone else here felt the firearm was worth the $500.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Winds i would probably go even up to a $1000 for that pistol! there is the possibility that pistol saw action in WWII. even if not, it was still made during the war effort and may not have even been issued.

13. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I'm with you axxe, if I were in an auction situation, which gets me in trouble sometimes, I'd go a $1,000-1,200, if it was in the war.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No way of knowing for sure but war era for certain - It wud bring a grand EZ ---

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Aw right, quit fooling around, guys. If you are speaking tongue in cheek, the internet standard is to change to a GREEN font.

To the original poster- no way to tell if THAT 45 was used in combat, but it WAS wartime production- Ithaca only made .45s from 12-42 thru 1945. If the internals are good, I would guesstimate that is a $1,500 to $2,000 pistol. I do think that is 1943- maybe early 44 production from the SN,

Ithaca was not usually a maker of pistols, but there was a war going on. The part of GM that made headlight housings made Liberator pistols. The Rockola Juke Box company made M1 Carbines. And yes, Ithaca made pistols. Some C&P info for you:

Ithaca started production in December of 1942 and was the only established firearms company to produce 1911A1s other than Colt. The total number of pistols produced by Ithaca was 335,466. In early 1942 & 1943 Ithaca did not have all the equipment necessary to manufacture the components so they received parts from other contractors that included 6,200 WWI receivers that Springfield had in storage. These early Colt receivers (frames) can be quickly identified by the cut-outs under the stocks. Colt also supplied many of the small parts. Harry Howland of Ithaca designed a stamped trigger assembly that was approved by the Ordnance Department. This stamped trigger was fabricated by the Yawman Metal Products Co. of Rochester N.Y. and became known as the Yawman Trigger. The new trigger was adopted by all other pistol manufacturers by early 1943, except Colts who changed in April of 1944. Changing to the stamped trigger alone reduced the cost of the 1911A1 by about 5%. Later in the war Ithaca also designed a serrated Grooved hammer as a cost reduction but none of the other manufacturers adopted it. Ithaca pistols were probably the coarsest finished pistols of any 1911A1. This seems puzzling since they were previously a manufacturer of sporting shotguns and as such they must have appreciated the importance of cosmetic appearance.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And WHERE are my manners? I failed to note that you are a new guy here- and welcome. We're glad you found your way to us. That is a VERY nice 1911A1. If you are going to get that, ask the neighbor if he may have a military holster or magazines to go with it. There are serious 1911 collectors, and WW 2 re-enactors that would stand on your chest to get their hands on that one.

When you get a chance, stop by the intro thread, and say howdy.

And to the folks acting silly (and you KNOW who you are)- Woodshed. Now. And stop sniveling.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ithaca made a LOT of replacement parts. Its very common to find ithaca slides on other makers frames. Only way to tell is by sn number if it falls in the ones alloted to ithaca AND has the correct proof marks. There are also correct marks for other parts if ALL those parts are correct to ithaca and the gun is in decent shape only then is it a gun worth over 1000$. If its a mixmaster then its a sub 1000$ gun depending on condition. Just from the pics without being able to examine in detail i would offer 600$ ish. Leaves plenty of room to find original parts and do a restoration.

18. Jimf

Jimf New Member

I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback on this, I did offer $350 and am now the proud owner of an Ithaca M1911A1. He gave me this holster and as soon as I see him this week I'll receive the mag also.

Thanks Again,

Attached Files:

19. Jimf

Jimf New Member

He took $350

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Dam, i didn't mean screw the guy :eek: :p
    Hell ofva buy ;)