Ithaca hammerless double Lewis model parts needed

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Warriorsoul84, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Warriorsoul84

Warriorsoul84 New Member

Trying to fix an Ithaca 16 guage hammerless double. It is a Lewis model manufactured in 1904. It's missing the left hammer and two mainsprings are broken. Only person on earth I can find that might have any parts is guy that works with diamond gunsmithing in Ithaca New York. Waiting to hear back from him to see if he has any parts. Meanwhile, looking on Numrich, they have parts for the Crass model, the preceeding model. They look the same as the Lewis model, but not sure of the exact dimensions. Does anyone know if the Crass model parts will work with the Lewis model?

Also, before the second mainspring broke, I was having trouble getting the right hammer to move back far enough to engage the sear. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I'm just wondering how a "hammerless" could be missing a left hammer or give you problems with the right hammer?????

check Ebay: http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

3. danf_fl

IIRC, doesn't that shotgun have Damascus barrels? If so, then I would be very careful with the fixing to be operable. Current loadings may be unsafe.

4. Warriorsoul84

Warriorsoul84 New Member

Danf_fl, hammerless means it doesn't have outside hammers that have to be cocked by hand each time the gun is ready to be fired. Still have internal hammers though. And there were several grades of this model shotgun. The particular one I'm working on does indeed have Damascus barrels. There are still a few companies that make current production shells with lower power, that are safe to shoot in those older shotguns.

5. Warriorsoul84

Warriorsoul84 New Member

The eBay link posted didn't work, but I've checked eBay already, and couldn't find anything there either. Thanks though.

6. danf_fl

From what I've seen, the Crass and Lewis may not be interchangeable.

Have you thought of purchasing a "parts" gun?

7. Warriorsoul84

Warriorsoul84 New Member

Yeah, I'm looking into that possibility

danf_fl likes this.
  8. Warriorsoul84

Warriorsoul84 New Member

Can't seem to find any right now other than a couple high end models close to $1000 bucks

9. danf_fl