Itch effectively scratched!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Tackleberry1, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Traded straight across...

Gave up a Century Arms AK w/2 mags for this Marlin 1894 GBL in 45-70!

I've been yearning for a lever gun for years and being an AR guy... Really did not enjoy the "clunky" nature of the AK platform.

Stock internet pick... I'll post real picks shortly.

Tack

Attached Files:

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Actual Pics

Hope these come through

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

The only problem is those types of itches keep coming back! Nice rifle.. :)

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yeah

I'm already looking at the after market peep sight.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Nice gun, but with my eyes, it would require a low power scope to be able hit a bull's butt with a bass fiddle. :p

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The peep sights similar to the brass peep sights that come on Henry rifles are fragile. The dovetail sights that are on the gun are quick handling and accurate. A friend of mine has a rifle just like yours. He has been wanting to put a scope on it since day one. He is still using the dovetail sights. That guns keeps putting meat in the freezer.
    Shoot the gun for a while before you start tinkering. You will enjoy the rifle.

7. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I put a Skinner peep on one of my Marlins and really like it. They make some nice looking stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you reload there is special loading data specific to the Marlin. Do not use loading data for the Ruger.

9. Salvo

Salvo New Member

That's a pretty 1895. My first centerfire rifle was an 1895 and I've had several of them over the years. It is a very competent firearm, able to handle just about anything at normal hunting distances.

I went through a brief period of making hot loads, but most of the time I have duplicated the 405 grain factory load and found that it is very good.

I think you'll have a lot of fun with your new 1895.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I put a peep I found on eBay for about $35. Works very well

11. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure you are well versed on this tack but just in case. I have the 1895 GBL 45-70. I put the Bushnell Trophy XLT scope on it with Leopuld mount and rings and never had to zero after the first time. The Marlin is notorious for a bad trigger. I got the Nickname the MARLIN FLOP...for under $100.00 you can get a drop in Wild West Trigger and you will be damn glad you did. Made me more accurate as well since I was always a bit jumpy on recoil...It is a 45-70..Nice Rifle man..Enjoy!

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I noticed the trigger flop last night and will definitely look into the after market trigger you recommended...

...don't think I'll scope it thought. To me, the 1894 is a close range brush gun/hog buster.

Now... I've just got to find some ranchers with a hog problem! ;)

Tack

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I was looking at the Skinner online and it looks like a good unit, others have said these peep's can be fragile.

How's your Skinner holding up?

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Thanks... I'll do plan to re load after the 1st of the year and will check that out. The factory loads are SPENDY!

Tack

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

What brand Robo?

I'm looking at Skinner now but am open to suggestion.

Thanks

Tack

16. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Mine is great, but it has only seen range duty. No woods duty. They do have a winged version to protect the sights I think. Of you are really going to abuse them that would be the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk