Italy cruise ship fires on samalies

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Gojubrian, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

FOXNews.com - Italy Cruise Ship Fires on Somali Pirates - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

The Italians carry firearms!!! Why don't we?? :mad:

Good for them!!

2. supergus

supergus New Member

I think that's awesome! Good for them. I thought International Maritime laws
    prohibited crews from arming themselves?:confused:

3. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

God helps those who help themselves, The International community shoots back with words,but these pirates are word proof (most criminals are......)so after the SEALs showed they wern't bulletproof......................:rolleyes:

4. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

And I was under the impression you could do just about anything you wanted in international waters? I thought that the arming restrictions came from the owners of the particular vessels but I could be wrong.

5. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Get ready for panties in a bunch. The private security detail was made up of former Israeli soldiers....

6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

The news this morning stated that the Security Force aboard that ship were IDF forces privately contracted by the Italian shipping line. I guess that puts any liability on the Security team? Honestly, if your ship is being attacked, does liability matter...

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

S.S.S.

Shoot, Sink, Sail on.

8. HunterMarksman338

HunterMarksman338 New Member

Way to go Comrades!!!! WHHOOO YEAH! This is exactly what needs to happen, for all ships who are unfortunate to have to go through that part of the ocean need to arm themselves or hire a heavy-armed security force. Kudos to the Italians!!

9. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

I believe it's anything goes in intl. waters.
    When you try to go into port you face the restrictions of that country.
    With all the different required permits and restrictions most don't bother
    Sound familiar?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

1) Some of those IDF companies are no effing joke when it comes to doing their job. Much Respect!

2) I, for one, would sail on that companies cruiseline knowing that they take the safety of their passengers and their crew seriously. I imagine that paying for on board security isn't cheap - but look at the rewards it reaped having some guys on board who shoot back.

Now, to the rest of the "victim" companies - TAKE A F**KING HINT!!!

Force on Force response seems to lead to FAR FEWER problems for YOUR COMPANY! You want to pony up a million dollars ( average ) for each ship lost, plus the possible blood of one of your employees on board? Or do you want to spend a couple of thou per voyage for professional protection??

Excellent story. Thank you for posting!

JD

11. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I sailed international waters for 5 years. The only time you are subject to a country's laws is when you enter there exclusive economic zone (EEZ) which is 200 miles from the claiming country's coast.

If a vessel defends itself in international waters good for them. In my opinion, a contracted security force aboard is about the most sensible thing I have heard in a long time. It only makes sense that a private company would provide some type of protection for it's patrons. Considering the current climate having something more than the "hotel detective" seems more than reasonable.

Kudos to the captain and the security guys.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  12. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Gets kind of sketchy though. Those pirates have RPG's. You start returning fire and they hit you an RPG, it's lights out.

13. chopkick

chopkick New Member

Although a round or two from an RPG would do some damage. I don't think the cruise ship would be in any real uncontrollable danger. Besidese, the skinnies want to capture it for ransom not destroy it. And I think that a well armed security team could repel the invaders quite handily.

14. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I think that might depend on the accuracy the pirates have. They're on a smaller boat that is subject to the rolling of the sea. If they're attacking a cruise ship or container ship, those things don't do the "rock and roll" an uncompensated small boat does. Plus, if you're firing on the pirates, they're going to be a little excited and nervous about those incoming rounds. That, alone, would be enough to throw off their aim.

Kudos to the Italians for having the moxie to employ a private security force to protect their assets.....

15. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Good for the Italians. I hope other countries and companies follow their lead. There's no way the pirates can keep capturing ships if they are all armed and there are NATO naval forces in the area.