it this what is called a stretch mark?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by eric2014, Jan 9, 2014.

1. eric2014

eric2014 New Member

Hello, my name is Eric, i live in canada, im 32 years old. im totaly new to this and i think i will enjoy shooting a lot. i dont own my first fire arm yet but i will in about a month, probably a remington 1100 12g. a friend of mine do scrap for a living and i bought him a few once fired amunition to see what i would have to deal with if i reload. i have found the the biggest danger seem to be stretch mark. ive been looking on google for 2 hours after reading about those stretch mark without finding picture...so i made one.

is this what is called a stretch mark?

the brass only have that bumb/iregularity on one side ,but its definitively a bumb, it seem to be maybe 1/64 or 1/128 thick guessing number...

thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard that called a pressure ring.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

That's the ring where your sizing die bottoms out. I get it on all of my brass.

4. mseric

mseric New Member

^^^This^^^

Not all, but most.

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

"Stretch marks" as you call them are usually bright shiny rings. Technically it's called case head separation but stretch marks is funny. :D

6. eric2014

eric2014 New Member

ok thanks all, im kind of happy knowing that now i have a source of cheap brass, now i just need cheap bullet,cheap primer,cheap everything... while im at it. is it true that you can lube brass with linolin oil and alcool rather than the commercial stuff?

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Yes you can use that for lube. I hear it works well.

8. awahlster

awahlster New Member

Take a 5-6" long piece of very stiff 1/16th" D wire like a piece of Piano wire (model airplane hobby shops have it) then take a file and shape a single bevel point on to one end of the wire. Next bend that shaped end to a 90 degree angle resulting in a little tit about 1/4" long with the bevel to the inside of the bend.

No bevel on this one but it gives you the idea

[​IMG]

Now stick this inside a used case and using it like a probe feel along the inside of the case just ahead of the base. If there is a stretch ring you will feel an indentation in the wall of the case just ahead of the base.

[​IMG]

ON a case like a 30-06 after firing and resizing about 3-4 times this slight dentation will start to appear. by 5-6 firings it will be very obvious and an indication the brass should no longer be reloaded.

On straight wall pistol cases like .45ACP this stretching never really takes place and some short fat pistol cases can be reloaded as many as 25 times.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  9. mseric

mseric New Member

Note that the "Thinning" of the case wall is well forward of the "stretch Marks" . The "stretch marks" in the OP's post are right at the case web and are normal. Your photos show the same "stretch marks".

10. eric2014

eric2014 New Member

it is exactly like my pictures, cannot be clearer than that, thanks

11. alpenablackdog

alpenablackdog New Member

great photos and a heck of an idea using the bent wire for a testing tool

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of firearms. Good luck in your first purchase.

Also welcome to the forum. When you get some time please stop by the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself.

:)

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Same here. It is nothing unusual.