It really doesn't matter.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, Aug 15, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Go to a gun store. Buy a handgun . . . semi auto or revolver. Buy ammo. Buy a lot of ammo. Load gun and shoot. Repeat often. See goblin. Remember practice, aim and fire. Gun goes "bang". Goblin goes "auggh!" Repeat as necessary (until Goblin stops saying "auggh!").

That's all there is to it. Everything else -- type of gun, make and model of gun, ammunition, holster, etc. -- is purely secondary. .22 will kill you as dead as a .44 magnum. There is no magic.

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people over complicate this issue, some over simplify it!!!!;)
    There is no 'magic', but there is 'reality' and 'science'!:)

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I used to ague a lot about the "best" gun/ammo combo for self defense (okay, okay, I know I STILL do, but mostly because I like a good discussion), but truth be known, these days I'll just do the job with what I have handy. I've caught flak for saying this here before, but I don't feel underarmed with a .22 revolver. Sure, I 'd rather have my 1911, but with very few exceptions I just figure that I'll be okay with whatever I'm carrying.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

txpossums words of wisdom !! Let video him on a hog hunt with old RG pot metal .22lr and then a good mid range 357mag mag and see with 6 shots how well he does. No caged hogs now. Stalk right up amongst them and giver heck. OR take you to Chicago's bad parts at night with that ruger .22lr with a couple bows of ammo or would you rather have a 9mm 40 or 45 highpoint and a coule box's of ammo. Just because something can work under the luckest of scenarios does not mean it remotely smart to do.

5. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Now, hunting is a different issue. I'm talking about self defense. And, I would have no qualms about walking down the mean streets with my Ruger Mk. Sure, if I could pick, I'd go with something different, but if circumstances left me with the .22 . . . a lot better than nothing in one's hand, and, as I said before, a .22 will kill you just as dead as anything else. It's not the gun that's deadly.

Oh . . . and I should add that I'll do the job with any of my guns, regardless of make or caliber . . . implicit in the post was that they are decent quality guns. Well, with any of my guns with the exception to that old RG I don't like to talk about.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. rickster

rickster New Member

I somewhat agree. A well placed 22 can do more damage than a 44 magnum shot to the toe. It's better to have something than be defenseless. But in reality, I prefer and trust a fairly well placed 40 S&W, under stress and/or attack, to stop a BG coming at me high on who knows what. So to a certain degree it really kinda matters.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, I have no caliber preference myself. I feel like a self defense gun should be at least a center fire simply because rim fires do sometimes fail to fire. Center fire seems to bare a bit more reliable, and reliability, imo, is the biggest factor in a carry gun.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Never really thought so either but at times I do enjoy the pissin contest that goes on about the subject ;)

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Yep. Arguing 'bout guns is a good way to pass the time. Would be more fun, though, if everyone were as reasonable as I am.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

My thought zackly! :p

11. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I'm still a believer in the maxim "The best gun is the one you have"

What I tire of in these endless debates is that so often people seem to be justifying their own choices rather than making a legitimate case.

Look, I keep a .45 for home defense. That's my choice. Then I turn around and recommend a 9mm or .38 for a new shooter and other .45 guys look at me like I grew a third eye. I'm not going to pretend that the .45 is the ultimate round that everyone should use. It is not without its drawbacks. If a new shooter wants to actually spend the time and money to familiarize with .45 then great. It's not magic to learn I just have very little confidence that it won't turn off a brand new shooter. I'd rather they have a 9mm they will practice with than a .45 they'll keep in a drawer.

Some people have medical conditions that prevent them from using a larger round. I try (and often fail) not to scoff at .32 ACP but some people are fine with it.

I do try to keep my advice to the basics. I try to keep bias out of it.

My biggest fear is letting my personal preference and choices get in the way and then recommending the wrong gun for someone. There are some generic choices that aren't sexy, aren't pricey, and aren't radical but will fit most shooters. Think Toyota Camry but for guns. The last thing I want is for someone to not take their own needs into account, buy a gun, and then think "Why did I buy this thing? I hate shooting it and I don't want to practice with it."

12. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree Trip but I remember reading an article in one of the mags years ago about the 22lr being one of the most deadly rounds ever created. The authors theory was that it had enough velocity to enter but not to exit therefore it just ricocheted around inside the body punching holes.
    I use to believe that if you didn't have a certain caliber in a certain make you had no clue and would argue my point to the end:). I now realize that they are all good if that is what you are comfortable putting your life on the line with. Good thread.......:D

13. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Why do y'all keep trying to turn this conversation into what caliber is best for defense. I'm not saying everything is equal, or that I don't have preferences. But I am saying that experience and practice can make most guns adequate for self defense if that's all you've got handy.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The best thing to have in any gun fight is a gun (hopefully loaded).

15. rickster

rickster New Member

I'm reasonable too as long as everyone agrees with me.

16. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I couldn't agree with you more. I carry just about everything from a 22 to a 45acp. I feel comfortable with all of them.

17. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

absolutely agree & well said...but if we don't argue over brands and calibers and actions......this would be a pretty quiet place! :(

i'll start.....9mm's are for wimps!

now the conversation might start to get interesting......:p

18. txpossum

txpossum New Member

i'll start.....9mm's are for wimps!

now the conversation might start to get interesting......

Well, of COURSE they are. If you want to start a discussion, you need to state something that's not so self-evident.

19. hawkguy

here's an opinion that agrees with you. good story that supports whatever gun you might have is far better than NO gun.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob62.html

20. hawkguy

HEY! I was kidding! my beretta compact 92 is my favorite pistol!

I think a duel is in order now.....;)