it is time

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by CaseyChadwell, Oct 5, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I have always wanted a mini 14 but have always went with the ar because of accuracy. I have a bolt gun to reach out and touch things with a 223 round and I think it is high time I break down and get me a mini. I'm thinking used, that way I can tinker with it some to get the accuracy where I'd like it. Anybody know what the minis are going for these days used?

2. bwraven

bwraven New Member

It all depends on where you are located.

Around here (WA) I see them from $400 and up.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I don't know what used mini's cost now, but I can tell you, whatever you do get a 580 series, not an older 180 series if you care for accuracy.

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The yellow brick road must be leading to WA. Seriously, I haven't seen them below $600 since the dear leader got reelected. The heartland prices.

5. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I'm not too worried about accuracy at this particular moment. I have a 223 howa that is damned accurate, so I am wanting reliability right now. I want something that over the next few months I can throw a few bucks into and some time and make it accurate for what I will be using it for.

6. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i almost shied away from the mini because of the inaccuracy rumors....i'm really glad I got one anyway.

my 580 tapered barrel, with a bit of tweaking will do 2" and under regularly. its just a fun little gun that shoots well enough to do just about anything you need it to imo. I am convinced that 90% of those who complain about the accuracy 1) heard it from someone else 2) had a much older mini and never tried to mod it 3) wonder why they get 4" groups (while shooting total garbage ammo with no rifle training to boot...:p)

idk...I can't speak for everybody...but I think the mini has never let me down accuracy wise.... mine is not a tack driver....but certainly a capable rifle for most any practical purpose that comes to mind....

7. sandog

sandog Member

You don't necessarily have to get a newer series Mini, if you can get an older pencil barrel one accuracy can be just fine with the addition of a strut. If the price on a used Mini is decent just figure in an extra $100 or so for a strut. Other mods such as smoothing the trigger, reducing the overgassing and adding buffers, re torquing the gas block, etc, are pretty inexpensive, like about $3 if you do the work yourself. See my thread below "Improving the Mini". Mine now shoots 1 1/2"-1 3/4" with just about any off the shelf ammo, and with Match bullet hand loads around 1" groups. Vertical stringing is pretty much a thing of the past , and the barrel doesn't get as hot either.

8. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

I've always wanted the mini 14 because that's what the "A-Team" used!

"I pity the fool..."

RJ

9. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

And just when I have decided to get me a mini, I ran into a man with a great deal on an AR15. Decisions decisions...

10. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Proud new owner of a ruger mini14 195 ranch rifle...

11. hawkguy

congrats! & welcome to the club!!!!! :D

thin barrel? get a strut first thing!!!!! I recommend accu-strut!

i'll show you mine if you show me yours......:)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  12. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I can't post pictures on here from my phone...

And I was thinking about making my own accu-strut...any advice on what to use to clamp my strut to my barrel?

13. hawkguy

not from me, I bought mine....:eek:.......DIY struts apparently work as well as every commercial strut out there....

but most I have seen are U-G-L-Y! :p

14. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Yeah, I know...we have a machine shot at work so I was hoping to be able to make one that's not hideous.

15. hawkguy

sweet! be sure you let us know how it goes!

16. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I am going to try:). Doesn't mean I will succeed...I qm going to draw a few things up and see if I can't get the parts and make it happen on my breaks this coming weekend.

17. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Just shot my mini for the first time at 30 yards off of a bag...I have to say I was expecting what the results were. 5 shots at about 2.5". Vertical stringing was a huge problem. I think I am going to just order an accu strut and be done with it. They make the rifle look a lot nicer anyway.

18. hawkguy

that accu-strut should have you at 2.5" (or better) as well.....@100 yards. :D

you should see a HUGE improvement from that thin barrel!

19. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I still may make one, but right now I want to get it shooting decent as soon as possible because I don't like a gun shooting like that. It will worry me sick. Figure I can order one and have it overnighted so I can be shooting better groups next week. I was wondering about how well glass bedding the stock...will that help much to speak of?

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.amegaranges.com/
    You might want to look at the Amega scout rail. It replaces the upper part of the gas block which should be re aligned and re torqued anyway. Also clamps to the barrel for additional stiffness. It gives you the option of forward mounting a scope or red dot and keeping the action clear for cleaning.