It is just no challenge anymore

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by superc, Apr 22, 2010.

1. superc

superc Member

When I was a teenager, going deer hunting meant filling your pack with a 72 hour load, grabbing the rifle and a buddy similarly equipped, then heading off in a car to a place at least 40 miles from the nearest city, then pitching a tent and camping out in the woods and maybe, just maybe, if you were both very quiet and could move through the woods as silently as a ghost, one of you will get to actually see a deer, and get one before the week ended.

My how times have changed.

Here is a typical morning view from my side window and the front of the house. Kind of takes all the fun out of what used to be hard and require some skill..

Attached Files:

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Quit feeding them and they will go away, get jobs and become productive citizens!! :D

3. superc

superc Member

BTW before you ask, Winchester Trapper Carbine, peep sights, sling, Firefly front sight, .45 Colt 250 gr. JHP, loaded hot. The alternate is a Colt New Service, .45 Colt, Keith bullet, one of Keith's loads. Either way, good eating, even if no more skill is required than picking one of the peaches or pears from the nearby tree.

4. kansas45

kansas45 Member

It's almost always been that way around here. Walk or drive to your favorite hunting spot, wait around for a hour or so, pick out your deer, shoot it, dress the thing & head home. I took up bow hunting for several years just to put more sport into the game. Now I'm back to the rifle due to a lack of time for the bow.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If you want the thrill to return, take up bowhunting and pick a particular buck. Hunt nothing but that buck. Get in the woods and do it the old fashioned way. That'll return the excitement to you.

6. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

UK

Its the same in UK at present we have a deer population of 2,000000 the most for a thousand years. Check out my post on deer populations it seems to be endemic to a lot of countries.

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Bambi Making a come Back

Count your Blessings, Your getting old. And least ways you ain't gonna go Hungry. One Elderly woman in our neck of the woods had been feeding this huge Buck For years till some no good crack head kid came and killed it when it was in her back yard. she called the Cops. He was arrestd for trespassing and hunting deer out of season, possesion of a fire arm by a convicted felon. Don't stop feeding the deer, just thinnem out come winters huntin season. God bless. Wills in da Swamp in La.:)

8. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Deer are children?

I grew up with em like that. It gets to the point you stop seeing them as majestic creatures and start seeing them as pest. My Father could not have a garden because no amount of fence could keep them out. I grew up on a street called Deer Trail... kind of a give away on that one.

9. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Just not fun anymore

Time to thin out the over population of Deer. Two people died after hitting a deer that was standing in the road the were travling on. thier Jeep crashed into the woods after impact. WAFB NEWS.

10. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

Even if the deer weren't there i still like your view. With the deer added makes it a dream come huntin' season:D

11. superc

superc Member

I don't feed them. Not intentionally anyway. The area shown used to be my vegetable garden. I gave up on that concept almost a decade ago. One time I spent a whole 10 hour day putting down slips by hand. Hundreds of them. Was gonna eat good. Went inside at sundown. The next morning deer hoof prints everywhere in the soft soil, but not a slip to be seen. Have been shooting them to the greatest extent legally possible ever since. Have trusted friends that come by to shoot them too. Sadly the new city people that moved to the townhouse areas nearby don't own enough land around their houses to safely hunt (not that their developments allow them to, or that they even know which end of a gun the bullet goes in) and join the squabble of people who believe shooting guns within 30 miles of a house or a road is very dangerous and only criminals own guns. Whatever. The result is I used to see one deer, then 4 or 5 at a time, now I can often see up to 20 at a time and seem to have at least two full herds and so do my other neighbors with more land than a townhouse has.

I tried the pick the buck you want trick. He hid in the woods all summer but the trail cameras captured his presence. Sadly on opening day he was just standing by the pickup truck waiting. Where is the fun in that?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  12. superc

superc Member

Every day, every window. Have to chase the ones standing by the car if I want to go someplace, or honk the horn to drive into my own driveway. They don't even run from us anymore. Even the dog has given up at chasing them. This is five minutes ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  13. willshoum

willshoum New Member

To many Deer

If you feel like you are being victimized by the Deer contact your State Wildlife Agency. There are People that would love to get there hands on all that Meat. They'll Get some one to come in and cull the heard. Make the call and see what happens. Wills in da Swamp in La.

14. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

At least some of yours have antlers! In northern Vermont where I live it's no big deal to see groups of 10-12 doe at dusk but not an antler to be seen.

The state has eliminated doe season all together and shooting spike horn bucks regardless of antler length is not allowed nor has it been for the last three years.

I guess it's better to keep picking up dead doe beside the road that have caused car crashes is better...