It has begun .....

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dog2000tj, Apr 19, 2009.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

A while ago I posted in the AR15 forum about a lower I picked up from Territorial Gunsmiths. I spent a good bit of time thinking about it and asked forum members for some opinions and advice. I settled on a the basics and got started and some of the parts just came in. So here it is,

Territorial Gunsmiths SLR15 Multi Cal lower receiver
    RRA A4 upper receiver
    RRA BCG
    National Match 2 Stage trigger (still backordered)
    Oversized trigger guard
    YHM EZ Takedown set
    Badger tactical latch

Lower Receiver
    S5031135.jpg

Parts
    S5031908.jpg

Assembled
    S5031910.jpg
    I know, the pivot pin is in backwards :mad: That has been remedied :)

The idea is to set this one up in.458 and I am leaning towards making this a SBR. But I have not settled on that so the barrel and foreguard are up in the air. Either way I am looking at a combo smooth/rail foreguard.

Up next on the plan will be

Buttstock - http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=205&cID=57
    Grip - Welcome to ERGO Grip Products
    Sights - a set of BUIS (undecided)
    Scope - Eotech or Aimpoint red dot w/ 4x magnifier on a flip to side mount

Also up in the air is a name for her. Right now I am leaning towards the Hammer of Dawn :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That a sweet looking piece of gear you got there Dog. Like the .458 Socom Idea. Sweet, hard hitting round.

Hammer of Dawn sounds good, but how about the Hammer of Athena? Greek Goddess of Wisdom and Battle, not to mention beauty. :D

JD

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Something I've been tossing around is the idea of making this a gas piston AR. I don't have any real definitive reason for it like maintenance/reliability/function. Right now it is more for the novelty/uniqueness factor, something along the lines of the theme of the lower.

Any opinions/suggestions?

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

It's been stated in several gun magazines that gas piston systems introduce vibrations that can adversely affect accuracy. For semi-auto weapons, gas pistons don't do a thing for reliability and, if anything, add an extra step to your cleaning regimen. Gas pistons were designed primarily for weapons with full-auto capability where heat, temp, and carbon build-up are concerns due to cyclic rate. Nobody I know has ever had a failure or need to clean the gas tube on their AR-15.

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Update

Just a little update on the .458. :) Some parts have come in over the last couple weeks. Nothing has been assembled and I am still hashing out some ideas. Plus, a few new questions have come to mind.

Here's a pic of the parts,
    S5032719.jpg
    CAA CBS 6 Position Stock w/ Adjustable Check Rest
    RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger
    Ergo Grip
    Stag Arms Lower Parts Kit

A few items I still need to get,
    Bolt
    Buffer tube and spring
    Barrell and nut
    Gas Block and gas tube
    Foreguard

A few issues I need to resolve still are,
    1) A good lead on .458 parts dealers?
    2) Can I use the standard AR15 tube and buffer spring or do I need to get one calibrated more for the .458?
    3) Barrell - I would like some suggestions on manufacturers. I am thinking of getting 2 - a 10"-12" for fun/CQ and maybe a 18'-20" range/hunting.

Thanks for all the help folks.:)

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Not a whole lot happening on the .458 front. The .458Socom Forum has been down a while :(, and almost as soon as parts are listed for sale they are gone, :(.

I tried contacting the folks at Teppo Jutsu a few times but never heard back. :(

I looked into the RRA .458 but if I go that route then what do I do with the lower, upper and bolt I already have? :(

I'm thinking of taking the easy route and just ordering a complete rifle or just the upper from Rock River. So far everything else that I have ordered from them has been top notch. After talking to them today they say the only backorder issue they have are barrels - anywhere from 4-8 months.

Any ideas/suggestions?

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Sorry that it's been a while since I have posted regularly but some personal issues came up - some good, some not so good, and my project in LI got crazy busy the past month and a half. :eek:

So what does all that have to do with my .458 project? I don't know, just thought I'd share. :p

As far as the .458 project goes a few new events have unfolded,

The .458socomforum is still down - I have been lost trying to get research done. I think I am going through withdrawals. WTF?

I did order a complete RRA .458SOCM upper from LegalTransfersInc. in NH. They were very helpful and easy to deal with and the prices were fantastic. I was told to expect the upper anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

I also managed to get a hold of man himself - Marty at TeppoJutsu. Being a noob he has been great to deal with and very helpful. As of today we are almost finished hashing out the meat of the project and soon I'll be getting into the finer personalized details. :)

So it looks as if I'll end up with 2 .458 uppers - a basic version from RRA and a personalized setup from the man himself.

Looks like another great Christmas for me. :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Great dog....thought you'd stashed the project 'till next year. Thanks for the update!! :D

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It sounds like a lot of hurry up and wait, but it will be worth it in the end. Great project! :cool:

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Just going a little slower than I had planned. Got anxious and pulled the trigger on the RRA upper just so I can get into the range with it. I've finalized the plans with Marty and should be sending him the parts I already have soon. He figures about 3 months to complete, really looking forward to it.

That's funny, some of the field managers for the company i work with joke that that is our company motto - "Hurry up and finish" :D. Then we get stuck waiting on the customer to complete the turnover. :mad:

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Tracking Number: 1Z6************442
    Scheduled Delivery Date: 01/18/2010 (Updated)

I got this in an email from UPS last night. I've got wood! :D

12. CA357

Most excellent! :cool:

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Well is it still in Transit? Need to know and see. Get off the XBox and on this project.

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I received the RRA .458SOCOM upper last week. It is one fine piece of equipment. But since I am having Marty build me one I figured I didn't need the 2 them. Another forum member has been blessed with it and should be posting pics and reports up soon. ;)

As soon as mine comes in I'll get pics up. Till then, it's xBox away! :p

15. CA357

Sounds good. :cool:

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

My apologies folks, I've let this project drag on for too long. :( But the good news is, I heard form Marty this morning! :D

The project is well under way - TeppoJutsu has completed the barrel, machined the bolt. All that is left is to cut the upper receiver, assemble for fit and test.

I have an inquiry in about some engraving - looking to find out the cost and options. If the cost isn't too bad and they can engrave where i want I will go ahead with it.

Sorry for the slow process and the lack of updates but life has gotten in the way. I'll post pics this weekend showing the direction I went in. I hope to have this baby done soon and off to the range to kill some paper! ;)

17. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Most excellent, will be standing by to see what you have done.

18. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Neither can i :(

Sorry for dragging this one out fellas. The good news is I heard from Marty over the weekend and she is all done. She should be getting shipped out to me real soon. :D

Now I've made some changes to the components since I started this project and will have to update the photos. I had planned on doing it bit by bit with photos along the way, but now I'm just going to get all the components together, take a before photo and an after photo.

19. CA357

20. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

So without any further ado ..... drum roll please ..... my .458SOCOM is DONE! :D

It's been a long time coming and a lot has changed along the way. The most significant changes were the receivers I started with and the want for engraving. Once I got the ball rolling with Marty I had a change of heart on the lower receiver I was going to use. Cane pointed me in the direction of Mega Arms and I fell in love! So much so that I had to have their billet set, nothing less would do. I put the project on hold until I could get the new set to out to Marty. All the while I had an idea in my head for some engraving to really personalize my rifle. Eventually I scrapped the engraving because I was unable to get my idea out of my head and into reality - this was in no way Marty's fault, all mine. :(

The completed upper from Teppo Jutsu came in about 2 weeks ago. Once I had it in hand I ordered up the balance of the parts needed - stock, extension tube, buffer spring, buffer. All of these came in within the past week so today i got everything out and put her together. Enjoy,

I started with the Mega Arms lower - lighting does strike twice! I assembled my STAG lower and I assembled this one. i even came up with a slick trick assembling this one - how you ask? Well, I am just one amazing individual! :D

All of the components
    S5031987.jpg

The lower is complete
    S5031996.jpg

Here's the trick, free of charge :D In order to keep from launching those little bastard pins I flipped the punch tool around and slid the shaft through the pivot hole - fit perfectly. Work the pin and spring in and slide the punch over to retain it, then slide the new pivot pin into place and viola - no launched pin!
    S5031994.jpg

But wait, there's more .....

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010