It Happened to me!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by crockett007, Mar 8, 2010.

  1. crockett007

    crockett007 New Member

    209
    0
    0
    I was shooting my Remington 700 VSSF .223 yesterday at the range.

    I have owned this rifle since the mid 90's, never a problem one.

    I closed the bolt, rifle on safe. Ready to shoot, flip to fire and BOOM!

    Yes, my finger was out of the trigger guard.

    I know Remington has had legal issues with the Mod 700 old style safety. I took it for granted that "it can't happen to me" after literally hundreds of rounds fired in the field.

    Lesson learned here big time.:eek:
     
  2. robocop10mm

    robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

    11,380
    1
    0
    Sounds like an improperly adjusted trigger. Snipercountry has a nice tutorial on adjusting the Remington trigger.
     

  3. cpttango30

    cpttango30 New Member

    13,934
    4
    0
    No i do believe that the older trigger would do this from time to time.

    The heck with messing with it just go for a jewell and never look back.
     
  4. robocop10mm

    robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

    11,380
    1
    0
    True Dat. Jewells are nice.
     
  5. crockett007

    crockett007 New Member

    209
    0
    0
    I googled up quite a bit of info yesterday, It seems there are divided camps as to whether these trigger groups are design defective, or, just the result of tampering with "factory" settings. Unfortunately, some of these occurences have resulted in deaths.

    In every fatality, the other rules of safety were violated. Pointing the rifle at the victim, gets you a kill everytime, regardless of the safety functiion.

    In my case, the fact that the rifle muzzle was down range, and total safety protocol was observed, reduced the drama surrounding the event.

    I will heed the advice gentlemen, eventually replacing the unit with an AM TG.

    regards,
    Steve
     
  6. Jo da Plumbr

    Jo da Plumbr New Member

    4,492
    0
    0
    An actual case of accidental discharge, rather than negligent discharge.

    Good job on following safety protocol.