It happened again

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by BullMoose429, Sep 29, 2020.

1. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

My guess is that the striker’s metallurgy is such that when it goes all the way forward past where it goes to hit the primer, it isn’t strong enough.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Not trying to trash a gun maker, but that would be a deal breaker for me. If a modern day center fire gun can't handle some dry practice, I would not trust it for carry. I don't abuse my guns, but I use them.

Back on topic, I hope the replacement works well for you!

3. BullMoose429

On Thursday I bought a new carry gun- CZ P07. I live in a very safe area (as far as people go- more worried about animals) so I don’t carry a gun very much unless I’m in the woods or a farm- in which case I carry a 44 not a 9mm

PANDEMIC, Viking, Fred_G and 3 others like this.
  4. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Well-Known Member

I am a die hard Ruger fan/owner and I say trash them.

Completely unacceptable or he just talked to a bad tech.

I would have immediately quoted what the manual says and it should say dry fire is ok. My LC9S manual say it.

It would be odd if the EC9S is different unless they really cheapend it.

I abuse my Rugers through heavy use because I need to know they will work in the worst of conditions. 20201017_213517.jpeg

PANDEMIC, Fred_G, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  5. BullMoose429

The only difference between the EC9S and LC9S is that the LC9S has adjustable sights. I’ll look at my owners manual

Fred_G, Rifling82 and CMAB2SA like this.
  6. BullMoose429

So first off- you are definitely righty, they have the same owners manual image.jpg
    And my manual says it’s fine too. My guess is that he said this out of caution

7. BullMoose429

I will say this- while a much bigger gun- my new CZ conceals real well and doesn’t make me feel like I’m walking around with a 44 magnum on my hip. It’s kind of the best of both worlds- it’s big enough that my hands don’t feel squished and I have a decent capacity, yet small enough and light enough to be great for carry. The ergonomics of the gun are great, and it’s super reliable 5D169EDD-036A-40AF-B7E3-BF67792D58E9.jpeg

PANDEMIC, Sniper03 and Rifling82 like this.
  8. CMAB2SA

Nice!!

Got a range report?

9. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I've had bad luck with Rugers.
    they are on my "do not buy list"
    Last good Ruger I had was my FIRST one and it was a Mark ONE 22 caliber pistol and I bought it used and it WORKED.

10. BullMoose429

Not yet

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Chop chop, slacker!

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. BullMoose429

I was gonna yesterday at my friends range but there was snow and rain. Next weekend I will definitely take it out

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. BullMoose429

My new slide came today- there’s onloy one problem, they didn’t include the barrel or return spring- so looks like I’ll have to call them up again

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. CMAB2SA

Wow. I am still die hard Ruger fan but I'm afraid I'd walk at this time.

First time I have ever heard a bad customer service story. It has always been nothing but positive.

BullMoose429 and Rifling82 like this.
  15. BullMoose429

I can tell you this- I won’t be carrying this gun until I’m absolutely sure it’s 100% reliable. The good thing is that I picked up a CZ P07 last week that runs likes a marathon runner. I’m also a die hard Ruger guy (my Super Blackhawk is always on my hip in the big woods up here in Maine, and it’s my favorite gun) but like I’ve said before- there is tiers to Ruger products- the old stuff made in Southport Connecticut (like my Super Blackhawk, they make nothing in Connecticut anymore) and the new stuff made in New Hampshire (all the revolvers, the classic controlled feed bolt guns, 10/22, mini 14, etc- all the stuff that you think of when you think Ruger) are much higher quality than the stuff made in North Carolina and Arizona. Which shouldn’t surprise anyone- I’m sure that all the folks from Connecticut moved up to New Hampshire- and let’s be honest- New England is the gun manufacturing hub of the world (Mass and CT used to be the two biggest- but all the CT companies have moved to NH and NH is kind of the epicenter of the gun industry nowadays- Live Free or Die!!! (Even though they’ll never be as badass as us Mainers)) and you have access to a much more skilled work force in terms of gun technology and manufacturing in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts than you do anywhere else on earth. The stuff made in NC and AZ, in my opinion, seem to be the stuff they make to keep up with all they tactical bro’s who want 53859562 rails on a subcompact handgun- while New Hampshire is where the real Ruger stuff is made. That’s just my take, I’m sure others coulod disagree

CMAB2SA and Rifling82 like this.
  16. CMAB2SA

With the exception of my security 6 357 I had years ago(Not sure where it was made), all mine have been made in Arizona and I have nothing less than 100% faith in my semi auto's. My sr9c has about 20k thought it not one malfunction. The recoil spring did get weak around the 15k mark. I trust this firearm with my life. My lc9s I haven't ran enough through it yet to put it on my hip.

I wonder if they are making some crap due to high demand and raw material shortages??

Nice post BTW about the history, some good schit.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  17. BullMoose429

I’d agree that the barrel thing was probably just a mistake from all the demand. But I bought mine back in December- and the new slide they sent me has the striker move much better than the first slide, so it seems like it was just a manufacturing flaw- no big deal, every company has those- the difference is that unlike a lot of companies- Ruger actually makes sure they fix what goes wrong. Try that with anything made by freedom group

CMAB2SA and Rifling82 like this.
  18. CMAB2SA

December seems like an eternity ago. Anywho that shoots my theory up.

Mine was made in March. Going to the range here in a bit to run 50 rnds of cheap azz Tulamo steel case. My guns have to run the cheap schit also.

I'll post a range report.

BullMoose429 likes this.
  19. CMAB2SA

Well having not shot a gun since March and throw in a new firearm to boot I will take it.

I sent it out 15 yards.

This thing has a nice trigger but it is way different than my SR9C.

I got to figure out where to place my finger on this thing.

The gun performed as it should. No issues firing the steel case cheap stuff.
    View attachment 229026

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  20. BullMoose429

So...... weirdly enough- my barrel and return spring came today, but the barrel wouldn’t fit in the ejection port portion of the slide- so I did some quick fitting (I only had to file off about 5 thou) and now it fits and works fine. I love Ruger, but I was just a little shocked about the fitting issue. It was only a few thou, so not a big deal and may have just been something being a few thou out of tolerance. But it is just weird that I had these issues with a company known for super high quality. The customer service the whole time was FANTASTIC, but I’m still a little weary about some of the AZ and NC made stuff. The NH made stuff I have no problem with cuz I know it’s the same folks from the original factory in Conn. and my Super Blackhawk was made in CT in the late 70’s/early 80’s and that thing is the greatest piece of engineering I’ve ever seen. I think any Ruger stuff I buy from now on will be the NH made stuff- which is what I’d be buying anyways- revolvers, controlled feed bolt guns, the NO 1, 10/22, Mini 14, 22/45. I have no plans on buying the PC carbine, another AR or another 1911. I know that New England has the most skilled engineers/machinists/gun smiths/ designers in the world and I should realize that anything made outside ME, VT, NH and MA may not be up to our standards but I was still a little disappointed when I put my barrel in my new slide today and it wouldn’t fit. No offense to anyone who lives outside of the 4 states in New England (Connecticut and Rhode Island- you are not part of New England, you never will be, and you need to realize that) but you guys really need to leave making guns to us. I still love Ruger, and will continue to evangelize to all those around me about how great the Super Blackhawk is, but I was really disappointed

CMAB2SA, G66enigma and Rifling82 like this.