It FOLLOWED me home... I swear!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Mark F, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I stopped at a local gun shop to see what they had in revolvers, for my wife's car. There was a good selection of guns new & used. I fondled a new Ruger LCR 38 SPL and several .357 Smith & Wessons. But then I "heard" a faint sound from the "previously owned" display case. And there she was... a cute Taurus ULTRA-LITE 38 Special. For a PIDDLING $245.00 she came home with me.

I changed the grip to a Hogue Monogrip so it would fit my hand a little better...

Attached Files:

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

3. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Aw she is so nice, What is you wife driving now?

4. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I wish guns did that with me. I'd be happy.
    Nice revolver.

S.S.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good puchase, Mark. I can't find ANY .38 special ammo anywhere.

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

She is cute, A little soft in the butt, but like you said, you can get a good grip on her.:D

7. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Great find. I have one for my wife with the stainless barrel. Put on the same grip. I did find a good gunsmith to work on the trigger. Much smoother and better for the wife now. Enjoy!

8. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

Grear find Mark! Let us know how she shoots.

9. Mark F

This worked out good for me, I had stocked up on 38 Specials and .357 Magnums "BEFORE" obama took office. This ammo was originally purchased for my Colt King Cobra 357. I have at least a few thousand rounds in my inventory.

I should be able to get through this ammo shortage BS without runnig empty.

10. Mark F

She was driving a Kel Tec P3AT. It's just not as reliable as a wheelgun, and it certainly doesn't have the punch!

11. OC357

OC357 New Member

Mark, that is really nice. I like the grips too.

Did you warm it up yet?

OC

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Now you need to get/install a set of Wolff springs in it. With no other changes, you'll see an honest 30%-40% decrease in double action trigger pull weight. I have them in my own personal firearms & can totally recommend them. They're pretty simple to put in too.

13. Mark F

OC357,
    I haven't made it to the range yet... maybe this next week! I'll let you all know how she handles.

STALKINGBEAR,

I will order the Wolff springs TODAY! THANKS!!!

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice find!

I'm really impressed with the 38 spl + P.

I have rekindled my fondness of wheel guns!

Let us know how she runs. [​IMG]

15. Mark F

Stalkingbear,

I ordered springs for it yesterday! I'll probably see them late this week.

Canebrake,

Yes sir, I have a safe loaded with all kinds of wheelguns. But I didn't have a light weight .38 Special. This is going to be fun!

I have some .38 Spl +P+ ammo but I think it will be too much pressure for this revolver. I bought it for my King Cobra .357.

The Taurus Ultralite is rated as +P, but +P+ is significantly higher pressure.

16. OC357

OC357 New Member

Mark...I just got some 38 +P for use in a 357. I never fired +P before and I guess it has a larger or different powder charge than standard 38 so just wondering how it performs. I havn't had a chance to fire some yet. How does the +P perform in your King Cobra?

OC

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

OC, I have the Ruger LCR with significantly less mass than a King Cobra so your comparison mileage may vary. If I load every other round with +P there is NO doubt which is which as each shot is made. Still controllable, but noticeably more kick.

The LCR is less than one pound (15.9 oz) when loaded with 110gr Cor-Bon. Hope that helps.

18. OC357

OC357 New Member

Cane....I have a Colt Python which is a heavy framed 357 so I am just guessing the 38+P will feel "light" compared to the magnum rounds I am used to using.

OC

PS....Mark, I don't mean to hijack your thread. I really like that Taurus you got and am "thinking" about one or something similar in 38 now...haha

19. Mark F

No problem! +P .38 Specials in my King Cobra (.357 Mag) has a little more recoil than Specials, but no where near the kick of .357's. HOWEVER in a light weight revolver like my Model 85 Taurus, +P is substancial.

I also have Federal +P+ .38 Specials. These are way too powerful for the Model 85 but perfect in my King Cobra.

Today is GUN RANGE day! So I'll give my new wheelgun a workout...

20. OC357

OC357 New Member

^^^Mark.....nice. Glad you like the Taurus. I might look for one.

I had no problem with the +P I fired today out of the Python. The +P was not as noisy and a lot tamer than the 357 loads. I fired 5 cylinder loads of each (60 roundes total) Warmed it up pretty good. I think the extra weight of the Python helped make the +P seem tamer compared to the magnum rounds.

OC