It followed me home dear.....

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Chainfire, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My son and I went up into Georgia this morning, hitting pawn and gun shops, looking mainly for military surplus rifles. I got to tell you, there ain't many in the shops around here, and the sellers think the ones they have are gold plated. We didn't find anything that was fairly enough priced to even consider.

This old hippie loves a .45, but I didn't own a compact version. That changed before lunchtime. I have got a doctor appointment this afternoon that is going to keep it from getting a good test drive, but I did pop a few rounds off the back porch and they went were I pointed. I am excited about getting some serious range time with it.

Colt Defender, used but not abused:
    DSCN7706.JPG

OLD Ron, SSGN_Doc, danf_fl and 8 others like this.
  2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice find Chain. I look for surplus specimens too, it's the same here in Ohio. They are few and far between, and pricey when found.

EclecticShooter and W.T. Sherman like this.

3. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Awesome Chain! I've never shot a defender but they look like great guns

EclecticShooter likes this.
  4. Chainfire

Thank you.

The one guy who had a few surplus rifles had probably ten run-of-the-mill Chinese SKS rifles on the shelf, priced at over $450.00. (My son was looking for a Chinese rifle to go with his Soviet SKS.) The seller also had a couple of wartime Mosin 91/30 rifles with refinished stocks (Bubba specials) in that same price range. If he can sell those Mosins at that price, I am going to consign him a couple of dozen rifles.

When we got home, I worked out a swap with my son, so he ended up with a damn nice Norinco, PLA, SKS for the value of about $350.00, so we both had a good day on the Gun Trek.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice score.

I have a New Agent, same size but has a trench sight.

6. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

the glory day of picking up any mil-surplus firearms is long gone. if you want one you'll have the "pay the piper"

great looking .45 chainfire :D

7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Nice find Chain! I have a 3" Para I really like.

8. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

Great looking piece Chain. Is it an 80 Series? Let us know how she shoots!

9. Chainfire

Thank You,

Yes it is a series 80, made in 2013 and used very lightly.

I shot it some this morning and I wasn't doing well with it. I was shooting low left fairly consistently. The grip is quite different from my full-sized 1911s and it will take some getting used to. I could use another inch of grip. (don't that sound familiar?) I think the problems were certainly more me than the gun. I shoot a full sized 1911 respectably, and I figure after a few boxes down range, this one will work for me as well.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  10. Chainfire

It's really OK. I need another surplus rifle like a hole in the head. In fact, I am going to start thinning out a lot of duplicates while the prices are, what I feel, are at unsustainably high levels. If I can sell wartime mosins for $350.00 I will be happy to get rid of a few. I will use the money to buy some nice US surplus rifles.... What I find particularly interesting is that the most common rifles have increased in value far faster than the really nice, low production rifles, such as the Finn models.

primer1 likes this.
  11. EclecticShooter

I think you'll do well with it once you get more time with it. A previous coworker carried one and he shot very well with it.
    As far as extra inches are concerned, to quote Lewis Grizzard "D*** brother, I don't believe I woulda told that."

12. Chainfire

It is the magic of the performer that does the magic, not the length of the wand.

towboater and EclecticShooter like this.
  13. EclecticShooter

We can debate the performance of short stroke pistons and long stroke pistons all you want Chain, we know which one has stuck around.

14. Chainfire

Wait a minute. Are we talking about guns?

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. EclecticShooter

A little gun flavored double entendre.

16. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can sell mosin for $350, then go for it: that's capitalism. They are going for $250 or so from what I see. Then there is the guys that put an archangel stock and scope on one, and want $600... That doesn't mean that are actually getting that much.

17. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed.

18. Chainfire

I got out this morning and shot the little thing a lot better. I was able to group fairly well at 25 feet, and with cheap Wolf ammo, I was hitting the ten inch gong at 55 yards about half the time, and the misses were close enough to scare the plate off it's chains. Plenty good for personal protection.

I would really like to shoot 8 round mags in the thing and they will work. I wonder if anyone makes a spacer for a full-sized mag., or am I going to have to make it myself? That extra little bit of length on the butt would actually help stabilize my grip.